Head of Contracts and Claims Management, Asia Pacific
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is establishing a strategic biomanufacturing base in China using GE Healthcare Solutions. With the new facility, Lonza is responding to growing demand for a high-quality CDMO in the Chinese market.
Head of Contracts and Claims Management, Asia Pacific will be supporting SGIE CAPEX projects across Asia Pacific working with Lead & Project Buyers and other Engineering Project Manager to manage commercial risk across a portfolio of projects. This is a hands-on role. You will also manage a portfolio of projects along with managing a team of Contracts and Claims Specialists. You are in position to mitigate risk related to the contract creation / execution, identify cost benefit solutions to complex Contractual matters (including regular delivery and close out of complex negotiations with extremal Stakeholders and Consultants. You also need to operate and manage at the C executive level of the Project structure typically in a fast tracked Project environment
- Contract Management
- Project Procurement Execution Strategy
- Support the definition of the Risk mitigation plan
- Participate in development of contracting strategies.
- Involve Cost Control Group and ensure the implementation of cost control system e.g. progress measurement, remeasurement, bank guarantees, additional items, claims, cash flow and back-charges;
- Analyze the contract conditions and assist the project management in the preparation and conduction of the execution of those contracts;
- Involvement with the review of new tenders and contracts with Strategic Supplier;
- Support the negotiation of major contracts, subcontracts and own the final review and document preparation with Strategic Supplier;
- Ensure relevant Procurement & SGIE process and standards are followed;
- Post Tender Award
- Lead the execution of contracts to secure our Lonza contractual rights and entitlements;
- Responsible to report contracting plan status and variations to the Project & Procurement on a periodic basis;
- Manage the contracting plan during project execution. Commissioning and evaluation stages, including the contractor's cost in cooperation with Cost Control;
- Prepare a summary of key contractual points (deviations from norms, identified risks, of concern to Company) generated by a review such that they can be readily identified and addressed;
- Negotiate and agree contract extensions & change request;
- Coordinate activities such as change orders. delay management, conflict management, preparation for potential litigation / arbitration in terms of proper documentation, timely responses to the contractor as per contract;
- Monitor and safeguards the legal right as per the provisions of the contract;
- Manage the Warranty and performance guarantees of the project assets;
- Ensuring all requirements of Lonza, are met with respect to contract review;
- Coordinating the involvement of legal counsel and/or Client legal counsel in reviews as required
- Support in Arbitration and in Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures project management as well as Legal department;
- Overseeing, managing, directing and supporting the project commercial teams to ensure optimization of project returns.
- Claim Management
- Identifying opportunities for outgoing claims, development of claim strategies, supporting/preparing notifications/correspondence and claims as well as negotiation and settlement;
- Analysis of incoming claims, development of defense strategies, supporting/preparing response/correspondence, claim negotiation and settlement: partial;
- Collection and registration of all claim related documentation in company’s claim repository.
- Stakeholder Management
- Identify and engage with internal stakeholders, including Project Management, Global SGIE, Global Procurement and Corporate Functions (mainly Legal and Finance).
- Clarify stakeholder requirements,
- Drive proactive communications.
- Bachelor or above, majoring in Quality Management, Engineering or related Science discipline
- Master Degree in Business Administration or related Field, Law or other cost management subject
- Extensive related experience with major contractors in roles dealing with management of project change procedures, cost management, claims and variations, negotiation and settlement of disputes with owners and subcontractors.
- Skills in all procurement processes including, supplier management, negotiations, contract management and e-procurement systems.
- Experience managing relationships, both internal and external.
- Demonstrated Project management skills.
- Strong negotiation skills; exceptional problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to build business relationships and to work in multifunctional teams
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.