Group Leader, Scientific Support
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience has an exciting opportunity for a Group Leader, Scientific Support in Walkersville, MD. This individual will provide customers, distributors and sales representatives with Lonza product technical information, troubleshoot product performance issues and record/escalate potential product quality events. The Group Leader, Scientific Support will lead mid-scope projects and direct project activities of Scientific Support Specialist I, II and III employees as required. As well as follow methods and procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives, and receives guidance in terms of broad goals and align Scientific Support activities to the marketing and sales strategy.
- Supervise and lead the Scientific Support team.
- Mentor and direct the activities of Scientific Support Specialists I, II and III on projects as required.
- Monitor and report top tier customer issues,
- Initiate and lead discussions with Quality Assurance, Product Managers, Quality Control, R&D, Production, etc. to resolve of product quality issues.
- Provide technical product information to internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate professional written and oral communication skills.
- Maintain a log of incoming calls, emails and complaints.
- Record customer complaints in Lonza’s quality tracking systems.
- Provide troubleshooting and application assistance to customers.
- Develop and review and technical literature/documents.
- Develop and lead product training for customers, sales force and distributors.
- Lead workshops and seminars.
- Lead large scope projects.
- Lead customer liaison activities at tradeshow/congress.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD or Master’s degree with working related experience; Bachelor’s degree with significant related experience; OR High School diploma or equivalent with substantial related experience.
- Experience in technical services and customer support
- Significant biological science experience
- Supervisory/Leadership experience is strongly preferred
- Works on abstract problems across functional areas of business. Identifies and evaluates fundamental problems for major functional areas through assessment of intangible variables. Exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Knowledge of cell systems, morphology, aseptic laboratory technique, tissue culture technique, familiarity with laboratory testing or primary cell procedures
- Knowledge of Cell Biology and Anatomy and Physiology
- GMP/ISO Compliance
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, SAP and CRM, organization skills, recordkeeping, filing, time management, professional telephone skills, faxing, emailing, regular attendance
- Written and oral communication, team oriented, independent work skills, diplomacy, strong work ethic, facilitation skills, problem solving skills
- Is knowledgeable and complies with all pertinent safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Ensure that all team members comply with safety rules and regulations.
- A majority of the work is done in an office environment with use of a personal computer, phone, and filing cabinets or meetings held in a conference room. Eyestrain and/or repetitive motion symptoms may occur due to use of the computer. Ergonomic chairs and computer boards are necessary. Glare screens for the computer are available. Some of the work may require entry into a laboratory setting or warehouse area. While working in the laboratory a lab coat is required along with appropriate safety equipment as denoted for the designated area (i.e. safety shoes, hair cover, gloves, shoe covers, safety glasses).
- Occasional travel may be required, local or international, once per quarter.
- Local home office policies might be applicable
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.