Head of Manufacturing
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As part of the Site Leadership Team, the Head of Manufacturing is responsible for the implementation, development and flawless execution of the site’s cGMP Upstream Processing (USP)and Downstream Processing (DSP) manufacturing strategies. This includes management of Manufacturing Support and cGMP Quality Document teams. The role is suited for a seasoned manufacturing professional with experience in the clinical and commercial production of therapeutic proteins and protein raw materials in a CMO environment. This role will leverage the candidate’s knowledge and skills in the strategic development and day to day operation of a dynamic 24/7 cGMP production facility.
The Head of Manufacturing must facilitate, develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal stakeholders, ensuring that all parties are aligned with operational requirements, while maintaining EHS, quality, and efficiency goals and objectives. The role is accountable for the management, coaching, development and performance monitoring of the Manufacturing team.
- Promote and embed a world-class EHS culture within the team, ensuring compliance to applicable regulations, legislation and company policies at all times.
- Ensure departmental adherence to policies, procedures, ethics and industry regulations.
- Ensure cGMP, EHS and Data Integrity compliance at all times.
- Manage and maintain Quality Management System records in accordance with stipulated timelines.
- Represent Manufacturing in internal, customer and regulatory audits and provide audit support where required.
- Maintain a high level of customer satisfaction through attendance and active participation in stakeholder meetings, ensuring timely delivery of agreed departmental actions and objectives.
- Manage, coach and develop all members of the Manufacturing team by conducting and actively managing Performance Reviews, Individual Development Plans, Succession Planning, 1:1s, and training.
- Oversee recruitment updates/changes and handle all disciplinary matters in a timely manner and consistent with company policy.
- Manage and deploy team resources to maintain coverage of trained team members across all shifts, achievement of agreed upon production schedules, control bottleneck process performance and resolve operational constraints to improve productivity.
- Review and align manufacturing schedule with the production plan and supply and ensure that rationale behind adjustments changes are communicated to stakeholders.
- Attend appropriate Hoshin level 0/1/2/3 meetings to ensure performance adherence to the KPIs. Analyze and interpret data, identify and implement solutions accordingly to improve performance, efficiency or correct negative trends.
- Provide regular performance updates to Site Leadership through daily site Gemba updates.
- Seek new and innovative ways to improve the efficiency and cost effectiveness of Manufacturing departments. Use Lean, 6S, and Six Sigma methodologies to improve departmental performance and leverage available resources (e.g. OE team, Stakeholders, SMEs, Lonza Network).
- Implement and foster a culture of Quality and Compliance focus and continuous improvement.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.