Associate Sr. Engineer, Product Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an open position for an Associate Sr. Engineer, Product Development to join the Product Development team at our location in Bend, OR. This is an excellent opportunity to join a group of scientists and engineers which focus on the product development of oral solid dosage forms.
As an Engineer, you will be responsible for both customer-based product design and development, as well as the internal development and progression of lead technology areas. You will routinely design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, and communicate and present results to both internal and external research and development teams. You will apply scientific fundamentals in a hypothesis-driven environment to guide and support the development of methods, formulations, and processes needed to promote product success at all stages of the product life cycle.
- Lead research and development activities in collaboration with clients and internal technical teams to define strategy and execute work plans
- Apply knowledge of pharmaceutics plus chemistry, material science, and engineering to solve challenges around: safety, drug delivery, formulation, analytics, and manufacturing
- Design, execute, review, and interpret experiments to make decision recommendations toward the product development strategy
- Adhere to scientifically-sound practices; including both model-based and risk-based approaches to research, design, development, scale-up, and technology transfers of formulations, methods, and processes
- Serve as technical expert in specific area(s) of expertise, and mentor colleagues and peers in applicable skills
- Support products throughout clinical development and/or commercial manufacturing activities
- Evaluate instruments, equipment, processes, and systems to improve safety, quality, and performance
- Doctoral degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences or Bachelor’s/Master’s degree with significant experience related to pharmaceutical formulation development
- Proven technical skills in problem solving, analytical techniques, data gathering, and interpretation
- Ability to perform tests and modify techniques where required for a range of chemicals, formulations, and dosage forms
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lead, train, and direct activities of a team toward time-sensitive deliverables
- Work successfully in a fast-paced, dynamic, highly collaborative, scientifically-driven, team-oriented, and customer-focused environment inclusive of research, development, and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)
- Understanding of pharmaceutical regulations, industry guidelines
- Knowledge of GMP is preferred
- Experience in advancing oral drug products through late stages of clinical development is highly desirable
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.