Biology Manager, Research & Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Personalized Medicine has an exciting opportunity for a Biology Manager, R&D to join our team in Kingston, ON. This individual will work in a cross-disciplinary team with the goal of driving innovation and client process development work in the emerging field of cell therapy. Primarily working with a scalable bioreactor to develop processes related to the manufacture and use of therapeutic cells, with a focus on immunotherapy. Responsible for developing innovative cell manufacturing processes and leading innovation and process development projects, in many cases across sites and geographies. This hands-on biologist or bioengineer will be expected to identify requirements, design and execute experiments, as well as assist in the tech transfer of new processes. Will be responsible for acquiring, analyzing, and communicating experimental data in a cross-functional fashion.
- Manage projects, across sites, to deliver on client projects and internal R&D projects
- Planning, running and/or supervising experiments to evaluate, develop and optimize upstream and downstream cell therapy manufacturing processes
- Critically analyzes processes for improvement and scalability, and utilizes background and expertise to establish and optimize new processes for eventual incorporation into clinical cell production.
- Provide mentorship to the team of scientists
- Present at scientific conferences
- Manage HR functions, including goal setting, performance reviews, regular check-ins, etc.
- Drive team to follow best practices in terms of laboratory safety, quality management, and documentation
- Review, approve and provide guidance for experimental plans, analysis and presentations
- Capable of developing creative solutions to ensure projects stay on track, despite unexpected issues which may arise
- Responsible for driving new product development, from idea generation to manufacturing and delivery to clients
- Provide regular updates to senior management and stakeholders on project status and issues
- Provide training/onboarding to new employees
- Perform hands-on lab work, when required, to help with troubleshooting or resolving technical difficulties
- Provide scientific direction to the team, which corresponds to the business priorities
- Responsible for forecasting and managing budgets and resource requirements
- Work with other departments to ensure multidisciplinary teams
- Drive vision and provide ideas on future direction to further enhance our product lines
- Correspond with external partners and clients, when appropriate
- Capable of achieving deliverables in a timely fashion
- Works within a self-directed team environment
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD (highly preferred) or Master’s degree in the field of Biology, Immunology or Bioengineering
- Extensive experience/knowledge of cell culture techniques with a preference to T cell culture
- Must have industrial experience
- Must have experience managing personnel
- Must have experience leading projects
- Preferable experience in the field of cell therapy
- Preferable experience with bioreactors, or automation of cell therapy manufacturing
- Preference for experience performing various biological analysis assays (e.g. flow cytometry, ELISA, etc.)
- Preferable to have experience in product development
- Preferable to have 3D printing experience
- Preferable to have experience in computation fluid dynamics
- Technical report writing
- Computer skills, MS Office
- Data analysis, presentation and communication skills
- A strong data analysis/statistics background
- Good written and oral communication skills; independent work skills; strong work ethic; delegating skills; ability to perform in a team setting
- Sterile technique
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.