Director, Business Development, CGT
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is actively seeking a Director, Business Development to proactively identify and build new customer relationships for the to deliver year on year revenue and pipeline opportunity growth targets for the Lonza Cell and Gene Therapies business unit. This individual will effectively promote current technical capabilities and new technologies (as they become available) to facilitate generation and closing of new clinical development business opportunities in the gene therapy / viral therapy and cell therapy space. As well as understand in detail a customer’s need and offering a matching, clinical phase appropriate service solution while effectively delivering Lonza’s value proposition. This role will be focused on generating new business in the US east coast territory across the entire CGT BU service offerings for viral and cell therapy related therapies.
- Responsible for generating new business from new customers through a high level of customer contact including frequent direct customer visits and extensive networking activities.
- Demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market and customers in order to differentiate Lonza from the competition
- Develops, nurtures and maintains a strong network in the Cell and Gene Therapy market from which to drive future opportunities. Works closely with marketing department to support tradeshows, roadshows and conferences.
- Spends time in the field networking and attending conferences to generate new prospects, leads and opportunities. Gathers market insights including competitive information. Role requires traveling approx. 50% of the time.
- Works closely with the Proposal and Commercial Development team on assessing opportunities and developing a tailored proposal and value proposition to client. Interface with additional internal resources when needed.
- Structures deals, leads the negotiation process and closes deals with the support of internal functions including commercial development, proposal, legal, controllership.
- Identify market trends, assesses market potential and develop strategies to grow market share using data from customer base and Lonza CGT market intelligence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Life Science's or Engineering. PhD and/or MBA preferred
- Significant commercial experience in the Pharmaceutical, Biotech or CDMO space
- Proven track record in delivering year on year business targets for complex high value deals
- Strong understanding of drug development and commercialization processes.
- Strong technical understanding of drug substance and drug product manufacturing processes
- Strong interpersonal skills. Creative, adaptable, capable of self-motivation and independence
- Customer facing attitude. The ability to build relationships based on trust and long term commitment. Strong gravitas, particularly in specific technology area of focus
- Leadership skills, ability to professionally lead group discussions involving senior execs from pharma & biotech companies
- Experience of working in and driving teams to a specific customer based result.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.