Senior Electronics Engineer
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world which is the work we want to lead.
Lonza is actively seeking a Senior Electronics Engineer to join our team in Kingston, ON. The Senior Electronics Engineer will be an integral part of an experienced team working to create best-in-class mechatronic systems for the Cocoon® Platform product family. The Cocoon ® Platform is a closed, automated, scalable cell therapy manufacturing platform which is used to manufacture multiple cell therapy types with applications in oncology (e.g. CAR-T), regenerative medicine (e.g. stem cells) and tissue engineering. This role includes work in electrical engineering design, research & development, prototyping, and technical input to other functional areas.
- Perform high-level electrical design or PCBA sub-assembly design and implementation activities, drawing from user requirements or change requests then moving solutions to system integration, validation and release.
- Produce design documentation in accordance with Design & Development process requirements.
- Participate in hands-on tasks, including prototype creation & evaluation, or design verification and validation.
- Proactively collaborate with fellow team members coordinating component design and system integration efforts.
- Actively pursue and resolve electrical engineering design issues.
- Identify scope of work, provide time and effort estimates, report progress.
- Generate ideas for improvements focused on better product quality, Customer satisfaction, and higher Company value.
- Contribute creative and innovative solutions to technical challenges.
- Collaborate with fellow Engineering, Biology, Service and other teams working on product design and improvement.
- Collaborate with outsource providers, including contract developers, PCB manufacturers and safety/EMC laboratories. Be an active participant in gaining and maintaining electrical safety and EMC compliance markings.
- Prepare engineering specifications for purchases. Work with vendors on PCB layout, fabrication and other design/test activities.
- Act as a senior electrical engineering team member, including coaching or mentoring fellow team members and colleagues from other teams. Be a proactive learner keeping own skill set at the edge of modern technology and best practices.
- Significant experience as an electrical engineer or designer.
- Bachelor degree (BASc, B.Eng or equivalent) in Electrical, Systems, Mechatronics or Biomedical Engineering or a related electrical-engineering discipline
- Experience working in a medical device industry or in one with similar process, reliability and quality requirements (e.g. aerospace, automotive, or others) is a strong asset.
- Expert in the design and development of board-level and system-level electronics, for electrical or mechatronic products
- Strong experience in schematic design and capture for digital and analog functions
- Good understanding of PCB layout best practices, including for EMC performance.
- Working knowledge of common electrical protocols such as USB, I2C, SPI, RS-232, CAN, etc.
- Background in motor control and temperature sensing/control design would be an asset.
- Able to perform troubleshooting and hands-on work with PCBs and electromechanical systems.
- Experience implementing DFx for electronics, including Design for Manufacturability/Assembly, Design for Testability, and Design for EMC
- Able to produce specifications, test plans and technical reports.
- Familiarity with IEC 61010 standards for laboratory equipment or IEC 60601 standards for medical equipment is preferred. Related experience in NRTL safety certifications or other electrical safety markings is helpful.
- Understanding of regulatory compliance for electromagnetics (e.g. FCC, ICES, EU EMCD) is beneficial.
- Experience developing or working with process control or automation equipment would be an asset.
Process, and Quality Related Skills:
- Experience performing electrical engineering within an ISO 13485, ISO 9001 or similar quality management environment
- Experience in investigating and resolving electrical issues using a non-conformance or CAPA process.
- Solid understanding of Configuration Management and Change Control.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.