Associate R&D Director, Lead Bioprocess Integration
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an exciting new position available for an Associate R&D Director to join us at our site in Slough.
As an Associate R&D Director and as a technical expert within the Bioprocess field, you will be responsible for liaising closely across the Bio R&D organization, to lead Lonza's mammalian process innovation strategy resulting in a significant commercial/scientific impact (or potential thereof) and differentiation in the field. In other terms, to enable collaboration across all business units to integrate processes to have significant commercial and scientific impact.
As a subject matter expert, you will provide scientific and technical leadership to the Business Units and R&D teams; elevate Lonza profile externally through a strong network of key opinion leaders and act as principal investigator in a scientific discipline.
- Design and successfully deliver cross R&D projects or programs (incl. collaborations) with a high strategic value or business impact.
- Lead innovation strategy and provide scientific and technical leadership to the Business Unit.
- Proactively identify innovation opportunities and proprietary solutions that expand or significantly improve and differentiate Lonza's offerings.
- Leverage a strong and reliable network of external experts that can multiply/enhance Lonza's R&D efforts in area of expertise.
- Present projects to internal stakeholders and through external channels.
- Proactively drive project decision making through timely and appropriate communication across levels.
- Works closely with IP counsels to understand freedom to operate and developing challenges / opportunities in field of expertise.
- PhD and academic studies in Bioprocessing or Biochemistry with very strong industry experience
- Able to support R&D's strategic objectives through scientific / technical leadership.
- Has a high level of scientific rigor is maintained within R&D.
- Able to identify innovative solutions to problems in the field leading to valuable IP.
- Has a good understanding of business drivers and able to connect current trends in the field with business opportunities/risks; translate into action plans.
- Able to formulate new understandings by review and integration of results from multiple research studies across a broad discipline.
- IP (Intellectual Property) : Has a strong grasp of IP landscape within a R&D
- Has knowledge in broad areas of science and ability to organize and facilitate the development of complex scientific concepts their application to solving practical problems/issues
- Able to assimilate complex data analyses from different areas and generate novel areas for investigation
- Able to integrate scientific ideas from multiple sources into novel ideas and concepts
- Able to establish a culture of innovation in an organization and lead the innovation process from brainstorming to ideation
- Able to generate a pipeline of ideas for the organization
- Able to drive the derivation of innovative solutions to existing problems faced by the organization and our customers
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.