Head of Operational Excellence
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Head of Operational Excellence oversees all Operational Excellence (OE) activities for the site with the goal of enabling improved business results through process improvement and culture change. This role will partner with Site Leadership Team members, as well as global OE, to identify and drive positive change across the organization. The Head of OE provides vision and guidance to the OE staff and mentors reports for their development and in support of the successful changes they lead at the site. In addition, this role will provide support and coach the Site Leadership Team to implement OE and Lean Manufacturing principles, systems and tools and related programs.
- Leads the efforts to generate OE strategy, to identify and develop systems and support for ongoing site efforts: process improvement, daily management system, and culture. Plan, lead, drive and execute business critical improvement projects to deliver successful results using Lean/DMAIC approach.
- Achieve goals through the application of continuous improvement and contribute to shaping Houston strategy development and delivery, organizational development and culture leadership.
- Act as a subject matter expert for the site coaching others in the philosophy, methods, tools and techniques of process improvement to increase the capability of the business to respond to problems.
- Mentor and develop the OE managers through regular coaching and management of their performance.
- Coach teams to establish performance measurements and process control plans to monitor project results and drive sustainability. Communicate project progress and promote project achievements to maintain awareness of improvement activity on the site, across the network and with corporate leadership.
- Develop improvement project business case to secure the necessary support and resources for success. Work with the business to identify and report milestone project progress and work with project sponsors and site leadership to address major barriers to progress to ensure projects are delivered to plan.
- Implement and maintain adequate measurements and control systems to identify improvement opportunities/needs. Develop OE strategic plans and deployment including metrics setting and reporting.
- Partner with SLT, global OE, and corporate leadership on driving Lean Six-Sigma projects to increase productivity and enhance effectiveness of operation processes and systems.
- Participate and contribute to the global OE network and share best practices.
- Train, coach and mentor personnel in the application of OE principles, systems and tools. Assist personnel in the development and implementation of OE projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Engineering. Advanced degree is a plus.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certified. Black Belt is a plus.
- Extensive experience in a biologics organization championing OE initiatives and continuous improvement.
- Expert level in process improvement tools and methodologies
- Proven facilitator with ability to coach, manage and lead teams
- Experience with SAP from Supply Chain perspective.
- Proficient in the use of spreadsheets, databases, and word processing software.
- Embraces new initiatives and drives successful implementation in his/her area
- Sets and delivers on individual and team objectives that support the company strategy
- Actively seeks out and shares different perspectives from a broad network and implements alternative approaches
- Champions and role models the values of diversity and inclusion through everyday interactions in groups or 1:1s
- Uses systematic approaches to ensure customer key metrics are tracked and analyzed for continuous improvement
- Establishes and consistently delivers on KPIs and challenging goals
- Supports others in taking responsibility for a safe and sustainable environment
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.