Supervisor, Quality Control Microbiology
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience is actively seeking a Supervisor, Quality Control Microbiology to join our team in Walkersville, Maryland. This individual will supervise the Quality Control (QC) Microbiology laboratory Technical Operations team. The team is responsible for performing EM data review and analysis, leading and/or participating in excursion investigations and complex technical investigations, tracking/trending of EM data, performing Risk Assessments, supporting audits, CAPAs, projects within and outside QC, and all related Microbiology Lab activities.
- Responsible for direct supervision of the Microbiology group responsible for EM data review and analysis, inclusive of all other sub tasks that are involved. Ensures adherence to deadlines and compliance with regulations.
- Leads, mentors, and coaches staff through routine one-on-one meetings, team meetings, and effective performance management. Sets and delivers on individual and team goals that support the group and site strategy. Takes personal accountability for both his/her own and the team’s actions.
- Ensures laboratory test methods, equipment maintenance/repair, calibration, and record keeping is done in accordance with established procedures.
- Writes, reviews, and/or approves SOPs, sampling plans, protocols, and reports.
- Leads and mentors others with technical investigations.
- Provides back-up support for routine lab activities, if necessary.
- Participates in or provides data for routine environmental trending meetings.
- Serves on or oversees contamination prevention team
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences
- Significant experience in a related role
- Significant experience working in a cGMP regulated environment
- Demonstrated knowledge in Pharmaceutical Microbiology as it relates to Environmental Monitoring, Aseptic Processing, Cleanroom design and behavior
- Experience in room qualification/facility start up and protocol/sampling design
- Experience with technical investigations
- Proficient in the use of spreadsheets, databases, and word processing software.
- Performs statistical analysis of data and interpretation of trended data.
- Knowledge of SAP, TrackWise, LIMS or MODA systems a plus.
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong Planning/Prioritization skills
- Strong communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills as well as team building and mentoring skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.