Department Manager, MSAT
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza’s Singapore, Tuas location is searching for an experienced Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) Manager to join our amazing Manufacturing team. Working within MSAT, you will be responsible for the day to day line management of MSAT technical transfer support activities of GMP manufacturing operations globally, and will have the role of technically influencing change and support business processes through cross functional interaction with internal and external customers.
- Process Support: Lead a team of Process Engineers/Specialists to provide MSAT support for cell culture or purification stages of the customer’s manufacturing campaigns at Lonza Singapore. Work with technical experts from Lonza’s customer companies and with Lonza Manufacturing (MFG), Quality Assurance (QA), Quality Control (QC), and other departments towards successful pre-campaign preparation, campaign support and post campaign analyses.
- Forge strong relationships with manufacturing counterparts to serve as a natural extension of the manufacturing team.
- Ensure manufacturing training is appropriately designed for each product and provide necessary floor support to supplement pre-campaign training resulting in processes being executed accurately with minimal deviations.
- Serve as USP or DSP SME for area with generalized expertise across processes and strive to be recognized as such across the Lonza network and by customers.
- Develop basic understanding of other areas (ex. working knowledge of DSP for a cell culture manager) to enable broad technical discussions with customers during technology transfer, process support or investigations.
- Own process descriptions. SME for all cell culture or DSP processes on site.
- Provide technical expertise during plant start-up and pilot/commercial runs and perform technical investigations and author technical reports to support close-out of deviations, trouble-shoot process excursions/issues during production.
- Direct activities in the small-scale cell culture or DSP process lab to support process investigations.
- Identify system level areas for improvement within department or site and propose projects to drive such improvements. Use technical knowledge to influence decision making at site level.
- Lead strategy, preparation and discussions during inspections and audits by customer and regulatory authorities.
- Liaise with development/MSAT groups at other Lonza sites to implement best practices.
- Communicate clearly in face to face and written communications to successfully influence matrix internal and external teams in order to meet site goals.
- Supervise and mentor direct reports.
- Any other assignments from supervisor.
- A Ph.D. in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biochemistry/ chemistry/ microbiology or related discipline, OR a Master’s degree in the above disciplines, OR a Bachelor’s degree with significant years’ of relevant working experience.
- Prior cGMP operations experience with cell culture or purification and a strong understanding of critical process parameters is required.
- Previous knowledge in mammalian cell Upstream and Downstream process validation essential and aware of current regulatory and industry standards & GMP guidance.
- Prior supervisory or project management experience required.
- Demonstrated track record in executing/managing multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, outstanding action orientation, and ability to work well in a cross-functional technical environment.
- Excellent technical writing skills, ability to provide attention to detail is essential.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and/or other data analysis software is required.
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieve ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.