Senior Scientist, Viral Clearance
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Development Services group is responsible for the development and characterization manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base.
Based primarily in a new site in Singapore Science Park, the viral clearance team works closely with our Customers, and with different functions including MSAT, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Proposal/Program Management, Process Development, Supply Chain, Quality Assurance and external testing facility.
The purpose of this role is to design and execute specific virus clearance studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of purification processes for the reduction of viruses to support customers’ regulatory filings (IND & BLA).
- Design and perform hands-on laboratory work (e.g. small-scale control run, virus models spiked run, virus inactivation step evaluation, virus reduction filtration) following protocols and working to GMP standards.
- Follow work procedures to set up and operate chromatography, ultrafiltration and dead-end filtration systems to GMP standards.
- Review and interpret raw data to produce good quality process knowledge and data sets suitable for inspection by regulatory agencies.
- Professional development to take up the role of Study Director, who has the overall responsibility of the planning and conducting, as well as the interpretation, analysis, documentation and reporting of results. Design the viral clearance study in accordance with guidelines (e.g. EMEA and ICH Q5A).
- Authoring of protocols and reports and interaction with regulatory agencies are required.
- Supervision of project teams and leading troubleshooting activities may be required.
- Develop and manage relationships with external customers and teams at contract testing laboratories.
- Deliver high quality communication to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, telecons, face to face meetings).
- Working as part of a site and global project team, co-ordinate multiple projects and ensure timely delivery of project workstages.
- Degree/PhD in Biological Science/Engineering as appropriate for area of expertise.
- 3-5 years’ experience or 1-3 years and a PhD with experience gained in a lab either in industry or academia, or via an industry work training programme.
- Practical laboratory experience in virus clearance studies, study directing and project management is required.
- Developing a detailed understanding of the scientific rationale behind one or more technical areas involved in the development of biopharmaceuticals.
- The final role offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
- Understanding of cGMP regulations and quality management is required.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good team working skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.