Manager, Automation Engineering
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience has a new and exciting Manager, Automation Engineering role in Walkersville, MD. The Manager, Automation Engineering will support ongoing Lonza operations through technical assistance and management as it relates to Automation & Manufacturing Systems and Engineering. Manage technical resources supporting automation and operational technology functions across the Walkersville site. Provides strategic support to the business for development and compliance. Develop and maintain strategic roadmap for Automation Engineering, including upgrades and obsolescence.
- Conduct regular 1-on-1’s with employees to check progress on work objectives and to define developmental opportunities with the organization
- Assist direct reports with development of employees to help them achieve career goals
- Prepares budgets for and reviews automation CAPEX spending for projects with organizational controls for budget, scope and schedule adherence
- Develop and provide technical knowledge on manufacturing equipment and processes to Engineers as well as Manufacturing.
- Participates in audits and inspections as an Engineering and Automation SME and supports QA in development of regulatory and customer audit responses
- Responsible for various support functions for computer systems, databases, and software applications that are utilized with manufacturing, QC, QA, and Operations.
- Provide OT infrastructure support (servers, networks, workstations, storage, and client devices) for Automation, Business Analytics, Quality Control, and any other information systems used to support Operations.
- Maintain system/data integrity and identify performance and security improvements
- Perform Data Integrity Risk Assessments (DIRA) and FMEA’s on new and existing systems.
- Responsible for routine system application administration (i.e. set up new users. roles, groups, data set up, software configuration, etc.)
- Administer/manage OT backups and the recovery in the event of discontinuity of services
- Investigates and troubleshoots technical problems of increasing complexity
- Develop, test and maintain disaster recovery procedures
- Administers appropriate change control, security, and backup/ recovery procedures to maintain validated and compliant status of system
- Lead the planning and execution of projects involving computerized infrastructure change, upgrades and process improvements
- Contributes to design of new applications and solutions, prepare user requirement specifications (URS)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline (i.e. Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical, etc.)
- Substantial experience in Automation Engineering and Controls Engineering
- Ability to effectively communicate via writing and oral communication at all levels. Express ideas effectively in individual and group situations (including non-verbal communication). Ability to communicate to internal and external personnel and to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical people. Ability and willingness to express opinions and argue their basis
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, keeping track of costs and schedule and ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards. Use organizational skills to prioritize and resolve project issues.
- A solid understanding of design principles and standards within Biopharmaceutical facilities. Ability to look at plant problems and come up with options for solutions. Ability to understand and challenge design and execution concepts from outside vendors/engineers.
- Ability to develop alternative courses of action that are based on logical assumptions, factual data and engineering principles. The alternate actions take into consideration resources (financial and manpower), constraints and organizational priorities. Provides solutions to a wide range of difficult problems; solutions are imaginative, thorough and practicable. Gain approval for recommended solution and implement through proper channels.
- Ability to accomplish tasks through concern for all areas involved. Demonstrating the proper level of detail for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes, data and tasks; and maintaining watchfulness over a period of time.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external teams or those outside formal line of authority (e.g. peers, senior managers) to accomplish project goals. Take actions that respect the needs and contributions of others; contributing to and accepting the consensus; subordinating own objectives to the objectives of the project team. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical problems; frequent inter-organizational and outside contacts.
- Ability to establish a project execution plan that outlines the course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Monitor the activities of consultants, vendors and contractors to insure that resources are allocated properly in order to achieve project goals. An understanding of how to work through company systems to establish goals.
- Ability to make active attempts to influence events to meet the goals of the project or organization. Given very general direction; independently determines and develops an approach to problem solving or project execution. Reviews work in terms of meeting project and organizational objectives.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.