Manager, Engineering Projects
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an excellent opportunity for a Manager, Engineering Projects to lead and oversee capital projects at our site in Bend, OR.
The Manager, Engineering Projects is responsible for leading the capital project team as they scope and estimate projects, develop detailed funding requirements and guide projects through the execution process. The Manager, Engineering Projects verifies that projects are planned, executed, and documented in accordance with established site and Lonza methodologies for delivering best-in-class services on capital construction projects. In addition, this person must provide construction management oversight to ensure that projects are executed safely, efficiently, and in accordance with all applicable codes and requirements.
- Lead a team of internal resources as well as contractors, subcontractors, and consultants (e.g.AE, etc.) to deliver the project portfolio for the Lonza Bend site. Develop the team in construction, project management and engineering best practices.
- Directly responsible and accountable for the team safely delivering capital projects to scope, budget, and schedule.
- Provide direct management, execution, and oversight of capital projects up to $10 million from concept through Commissioning and Qualification (C&Q).
- Work with site and global CAPEX champions to ensure projects are executed in accordance with current Lonza and site methodologies, policies, industry best practices, and cGMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) requirements.
- Oversees the site’s capital project portfolio, coordinating project schedules, balancing resources, identifying and mitigating project risks to scopes, budgets, and schedules.
- Manages the planning and design review processes including stage gate reviews, EHS reviews (e.g. HAZOP, etc.), equipment evaluations, tests, and approvals.
- Coordinate closely with EHS to ensure site construction safety is paramount and follows best available practices.
- Participates in contractor evaluation and selection process. Manage the contractor inspection process to ensure safety and compliance.
- Sets up logistics systems, including vendor selection, RFI’s, RFQ’s, bid vetting and selection, invoice approval, administering and tracking NDA’s, and project change controls.
- Coordinate the development of engineering and GMP documentation, procurement, engineering services, construction, C&Q, and turn over to Operations.
- Continually communicate a project’s scope, progress, schedule, budget, changes, and risks to stakeholders. Represent the capital project team and site in presentations to senior management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in science field.
- Preferred candidate will have Professional Engineer license (PE), Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, and/or Lean Six Sigma training.
- Extensive field experience building rapport and leading multi-functional groups of scientists, operators, managers, engineers, consultants, architects, regulatory officials, and trade contractors.
- Expert knowledge of construction and project management methodologies.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical manufacturing, utilities, process equipment, and associated systems such as controls and automation is preferred.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Must be independent, self-motivated, organized, creative and able to multi-task in project environments.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.