R&D Scientist - Fermentation
LONZA BIOTEC sro, located in Kouřim, 40 km east of Prague, Czech Republic, is part of Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI). Our production site is focused on microbial fermentation and custom manufacturing and development services for the biotechnology and nutrition industries.
Lonza Specialty Ingredients is seeking a highly motivated Research Scientist with hands-on approach to join our newly established R&D team in Kouřim, Czech Republic. Providing services in process development to bring customer´s technologies to an industrially scalable shape is one of the key roles. As well developing the new biotech processes to reflect market opportunities and to ensure innovative manufacturing portfolio for Kouřim site.
As a Fermentation Scientist you will be responsible for working with a cross-disciplinary team to deliver solutions to fermentation process development. You will conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data and communicate and present results to customers and other stakeholders.
- Plan, design and execute experiments for microbial fermentation process development
- Use existing technical literature to improve and develop new fermentation techniques and technologies
- Applying strong biology and chemistry fundamentals to a hypothesis-driven environment to guide the fermentation process development
- Operate fermentation equipment
- Maintain laboratory infrastructure
- Conduct comprehensive problem analysis and troubleshooting
- Acquire, analyze, and communicate experimental data in cross-functional fashion including presentation to customers
- Closely liase with Manufacturing Science and Technology team and Quality Control group
- Master’s degree, preferably Ph.D. in molecular biology, microbiology, biotechnology or a related field
- Rich experience with DoE
- Strong background in various microbial fermentation strategies and downstream processes.
- Experience with diverse microorganisms preferred and methods for improvement of their properties
- Very good understanding of metabolomics and proteomics
- Strong communication, analytical, presentation and problem solving skills coupled with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Enthusiasm for establishing, troubleshooting and optimizing new techniques;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to build and sustain professional relationships, strategic thinking, business acumen would be beneficial
- Fluency in Czech and English
- The opportunity to work in a multicultural company
- Exposure to dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- The ability to make a direct impact to personal and business success immediately
- Competitive salary (including 13th salary and annual bonus 12%)
- Excellent package of company benefits (commuting allowance, pension scheme after 1 year with company, company canteen, 5 weeks of holiday, flexible working hours etc.)