R&D Scientist - Downstream Processing
LONZA BIOTEC sro, located in Kouřim, 40 km east of Prague, is part of Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI). Our production site is focused on microbial fermentation and custom manufacturing and development services for the biotechnology and nutrition industries.
Lonza Specialty Ingredients is seeking a highly motivated Research Scientist with hands-on approach to join our newly established R&D team in Kouřim, Czech Republic. Providing services in process development to bring customer´s technologies to an industrially scalable shape is one of the key roles. As well developing the new biotech processes to reflect market opportunities and to ensure innovative manufacturing portfolio for Kouřim site.
Ideal candidate should possess proven scientific skills and a sound knowledge of current purification methods and technologies and their applications and limitations as well as broad competence in process development for isolation and purification of both small and large molecules. Good understanding of microbial cultivations, their complexity and challenges is an advantage.
- Plan, design and execute experiments for downstream processing (purification) part of biotech processes
- Use existing technical literature to improve and develop new DSP techniques and technologies
- Operate DSP equipment such as solid liquid centrifugation, cell disruption, tangential flow filtration, dead end filtration, column adsorption, active carbon treatment, crystallization, evaporation and various kinds of drying
- Maintain laboratory infrastructure
- Conduct comprehensive problem analysis and troubleshooting
- Acquire, analyze, and communicate experimental data in cross-functional fashion including presentation to customers
- Closely liase with Manufacturing Science and Technology team and Quality Control group
- Perform reviews and surveys of scientific and patent literature and additional open sources
- Master’s degree, preferably Ph.D. in biotechnology, chemical engineering or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years research experience in biotechnology. Knowledge and expertise in DSP technologies
- Strong communication, analytical, presentation and problem solving skills coupled with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Enthusiasm for establishing, troubleshooting and optimizing new techniques;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to build and sustain professional relationships, strategic thinking, business acumen would be beneficial
- Fluency in Czech and English
- The opportunity to work in a multicultural company
- Exposure to dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- The ability to make a direct impact to personal and business success immediately
- Competitive salary (including 13th salary and annual bonus)
- Excellent package of company benefits (commuting allowance, pension scheme after 1 year with company, company canteen, 5 weeks of holiday, flexible working hours etc.)