Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As a business director, your role will focus on proactively identify and build new customer relationships for Lonza to deliver year on year revenue and pipeline opportunity growth targets for Lonza Pharma Biotech. To effectively promote current technical capabilities and new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new clinical development business opportunities in Biologics. This role will be focused on generating new business across our Applied Protein Services, Mammalian, Microbial, Bioconjugates and Drug Product service offerings.
- Responsible for generating new business from new customers through a high level of customer contact including frequent direct customer visits and extensive networking activities.
- Demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market and customers in order to differentiate Lonza from the competition
- Effectively promote current technical capabilities and emerging / new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new business opportunities. Primary means of achieving through e-mail communications, phone conversations, face-to-face meetings, and customer tailored presentations.
- Network and build trust based relationships throughout target accounts from technical personnel to the executive level.
- Effectively communicate Lonza’s position and negotiate contracts where appropriate
- Maintains strong technical and market knowledge to enable meaningful conversations with prospective customers
- Work with marketing, account managers and product development to develop strategies that ensure Lonza’s position as the leading solutions provider.
- Formulate value propositions to generate opportunities to address the customers' needs
- Identify market trends, assesses market potential and develop strategies to grow market share using data from customer base / market and communicating effectively with internal stakeholders.
- Provide timely, industry leading customer support and defines and interfaces with internal resources, when necessary
- Close collaboration and team work with internal stakeholders to ensure successful closure and of opportunities
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The incumbent is assigned duties according to specified procedures and receives detailed instructions. Work is checked frequently.
- The incumbent performs a variety of routine work within established policies and procedures, and receives detailed instructions on new projects and assignments.
- The incumbent normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work and receives general instructions on new assignments.
- The incumbent establishes methods and procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives, and receives guidance in terms of broad goals. Only the final results of work are typically reviewed.
- The incumbent exercises wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments.
- A Master's degree in Life Science's or Engineering. PhD and/or MBA preferred
- Preferred area of study: Biology, Biochemistry, or related Engineering
- Significant commercial experience in the Pharmaceutical, Biotech or CDMO space
- Proven track record in delivering year on year business targets for complex high value deals
- Strong understanding of drug development and commercialization processes.
- Strong technical understanding of drug substance and drug product manufacturing processes
- Good command of English, written and verbal, other language skills considered an asset.
- Proven ability to generate PowerPoint presentations
- High level of understanding of the drug development process from pre-clinical to clinical development and commercialisation
- Understanding of SalesForce.com customer contact management system
- Strong interpersonal skills. Creative, adaptable, capable of self-motivation and independence
- Customer facing attitude. The ability to build relationships based on trust and long term commitment. Strong gravitas, particularly in specific technology area of focus
- Leadership skills
- Experience of working in and driving teams to a specific customer based result.
- Has strong personal belief and self-confidence in their ability to effectively communicate technical capabilities in area of focus.
- Has drive and desire to constantly improve selling skills
- Has energy level and engaging style to easily form a range of customer relationships from technical / project to executive level.
- Has focus and ability to pull people together from different parts of the business in order to reach a common goal
- Strong team player
- Builds enduring customer relationships based on trust
- Is optimistic and has the tenacity to bounce back from rejection
- Is keen to understand customer motivation and customer value drivers to realise full account potential
- Is comfortable operating with degrees of ambiguity
- Is objective in decision-making and balancing risk
- Demonstrates strong business awareness and commercial acumen in positioning Lonza products/services
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.