Team Lead, Purification Development
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
You will be joining Purification Development team within Development Services in Lonza Singapore. The Development Services group are responsible for the development and characterization manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. You will lead and manage a team of downstream development scientists to execute and successfully deliver projects to meet the business goals. This role is also expected to provide technical expertise for the downstream process development activities and to support troubleshooting activities at both laboratory and manufacturing scale.
- Lead a team of 5 to 8 FTE and have a genuine interest in developing high performing individuals and teams.
- Plan and prepare for projects, schedule tasks, and assign duties to the scientists to meet project timelines to ensure flawless delivery of high quality scientific studies across multiple parallel clinical phase (IND) and late stage validation (BLA) projects.
- Actively involved in communication delivered by the team to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, teleconferences, face-to-face meetings).
- Collaborate with other departments locally and in Lonza’s global network to ensure consistency in technical approach and procedures.
- Maintain sufficient technical / regulatory / business knowledge to represent the purification development group internally on Customer project teams and externally at conferences, Customer visits, sales processes, or any other associated activities.
- Coach, mentor and train direct and indirect reports in the necessary scientific critique, technical skills, knowledge and capability to achieve the department’s objectives and establish robust succession plans.
- To perform hands-on laboratory work as necessary.
- Contribute to customer projects by generating, interpreting and/or reviewing scientific data from experimental work performed either individually or by the team, highlighting any atypical or unusual results and leading the investigation.
- Reviewing draft reports, proposals, presentations and scientific data to maintain the highest level of quality standards within the department.
- Contribute to manufacturing deviation investigations where input from the Development team is required.
- Proactively suggest, execute and lead approved operational efficiency projects.
- Take a lead role in day to day department management activities including but not limited to safety, housekeeping, team meetings, equipment maintenance etc.
- Take a lead role in adherence to safety rules and regulations and proactively suggesting and leading areas of improvement.
- Support audits by both customers and regulatory authorities.
- Documentation of results in accordance with Lonza policies and current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- Degree/PhD in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Adequate experience in purification process development or characterization and be familiar with laboratory scale execution of various techniques including affinity and ion exchange chromatography using the AKTA system, ultrafiltration/diafiltration and viral reduction strategies.
- Experience in technology transfer and/or the use of DoE methodologies would also be considered advantageous.
- Experience leading teams for more than 2 years.
- Understanding and application of theory involved in purification of recombinant proteins.
- Understanding of cGMP regulations will be advantageous
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent teamworking skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.