Associate Director, External Innovation
United States, Hayward (California)
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Technical Associate Director, External Innovation will lead technology scouting and implementation activities in relevant fields to execute Bio-R&D`s external innovation strategy. Responsibilities include landscaping of innovation areas to identify emerging technology trends as well as screening, identifying and securing external opportunities of incremental or transformational character along with internal stakeholder alignment. The role requires an innovation-oriented mind-set, strong scientific/technological leadership with solid business development acumen, External innovation currently focuses on next generation technologies in Biologics Expression Systems, Mammalian and Microbial Biomanufacturing and Cell &Gene Therapies. Additional areas include Bioinformatics, High-throughput analytics and automation technologies, and emerging Non-viral delivery modalities.
- Define, recommend and execute the external innovation strategy for Biomanufacturing in order to achieve and maintain Lonza’s competitive leadership position.
- Work with internal stakeholders to define and prioritize R&D’s external innovation objectives based on strategic imperatives, core capabilities, and technological gaps.
- To keep abreast of the latest scientific developments within the field, identify emerging trends that may impact Lonza’s competitive advantage over the mid- to long-term and update the innovation strategy appropriately. This includes technology landscaping and benchmarking projects to define Lonza`s future must-have capabilities in core CDMO areas as well as in potential adjacent fields.
- Provide strong scientific and technical project leadership in the Biomanufacturing innovation area, including coordination of all mid- and long term Bio R&D external activities (technology-scouting, development collaborations, technology in-licensing, exploitation of external funding opportunities etc.).
- Build and maintain external networks and run collaborations and in-licensing opportunities with industry, suppliers and academia to promote Lonza’s work and maintain Lonza’s leadership and competitive advantage in Biomanufacturing.
- Enhance, maintain and develop Lonza’s IP portfolio in the area of Biomanufacturing.
- Prepare project charters and one pagers and introduce opportunities to internal committees according to external innovation governance
- Proactively support the continuous development of IP portfolios.
- Identify and exploit external funding to create further value in Lonza’s R&D programs.
- Support the legal and commercial teams, during due diligences, negotiations and agreement setting
- Utilize Lonza`s corporate venturing network to fill the innovation funnel in relevant R&D focus areas
- Publish scientific contributions (White papers, reviews, articles) and represent Lonza at conferences and in social media
- Support, guide and mentor more junior colleagues within FT/ Bio R&D.
- Mater's or PhD in Biochemistry/Biology or equivalent.
- Very strong scientific background, especially in field of cell biology and manufacture of large molecule for biotherapeutics. Broad and deep understanding of technology needs and customer base.
- Familiarity with different business models (products, services, licensing) and able to connect IP assets to business model to drive growth.
- In-depth commercial understanding of corporate and operational business issues.
- Demonstrated innovative skills and experience leading complex technology projects.
- Persuasive communicator with high level of communication and presentation skills, written, active listening and oral.
- Ability to persuade, influence and negotiate multidisciplinary projects with external and internal stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Able to translate complex information into coherent analysis and plans. Be able to pull from the detail and take a wider long-term view
- Proven ability to lead, coach and inspire individuals and teams to set and achieve breakthrough performance goals.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.