Project Director, SGIE
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Director of SGIE (Strategic Growth Initiatives and Engineering) Project Management is responsible for planning, managing and executing pharma and biotech growth investment projects greater than $5 Mio up to $250 Mio+. This includes the coordination of all project activities at the site and involving multiple parties whilst providing leadership to the project teams. The Project Director has the operative leadership of the project with responsibility commencing on project ideation and concludes after handover to ongoing operations and complete project closeout.
- Execution of assigned growth investments. Deliver strong and effective project management oversight to deliver Mammalian Cell Culture, Cell & Gene Therapy, or mRNA manufacturing assets.
- That projects goals are reached in terms of cost, time, scope/functionality and according to client expectations.
- The maintenance of quality systems and cGMP compliance for the business by ensuring that all project managers and teams comply with processes, procedures and instructions for all activities in which the team participates.
- Establishing and leading the project team / structure necessary to reach the project goals.
- The appropriate coaching and performance feedback to all direct reports and assures that all team members are being developed.
- Oversee development of Project CAR for approval and organize project Steering Committee meetings
- Delivery of timely qualification and validation
- Line management for the core PM team ( 6+ Lonza staff plus contractors)
- Provide resource management to provide projects with properly trained project managers, project engineers, cost and schedule resource (both Lonza and contract staff).
- Transition from build to operational lead with complete and accurate technical data to the site as needed and upon completion of each project.
- Develop and maintain systems and tools required for capital management including project execution plans, resource planning tools, cost control systems, project schedules etc.
- Monthly project updates in SAP including forecast spending plans. Support during the target process for existing/proposed new project plans
- Establishing project charter including scope of work, goals and deliverables together with the project champion to support business objectives in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Developing full-scale project plans and associated communication documents.
- Establishing the project execution strategy including appropriate contractual framework.
- Securing optimal flow of information within project organization and at interfaces with project champion / project steering committee. Mediating in case of problems
- Developing best practices and tools for project management and execution in a fast-paced generic product development environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required; Masters of Science preferred. Preferred area of study: Engineering or related discipline
- Substantial experience in the design and operation of Biopharmaceutical facilities, in both manufacturing and support systems (cGMP manufacturing, pilot plant & laboratories), including knowledge of qualification and commissioning.
- Significant experience in project management and coordination associated with the execution of capital projects in an industrial environment.
- Project management experience and reputation for mid- and large-sized investment projects.
- Strong leadership skills, motivating team player, ability to drive results, excellent communication skills and experience in managing matrix-based cross-functional teams.
- Solid internal and external collaboration and influencing skills and the ability to lead diverse, cross-functional teams.
- Excellent decision making skills, including abstract and critical thinking skills.
- Skilled with computer systems - spreadsheets, SharePoint, SAP etc., familiarity with Project Management software a plus.
- Capable of imagining and creating a future-oriented design of the business and able to convincingly communicate this at all levels of the business.
- Ability to prepare and support decisions that require in-depth evaluation of extremely complex factors, the management of ambiguity and interactions with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast paced environment is crucial.
- Team player with exceptional customer service skills, integrity and ability to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Requires strong attention to detail and analytical skills as well as problem analysis and resolution.
- Prepared and flexible to travel, bilingual (German) is an advantage.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if it is not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.