Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is actively seeking a Site Controller for our Walkersville, MD location. This position will have end-to-end ownership of the financial and analytical process for the Walkersville, Durham and Rockland sites and be a key contributor to R&T and CapEx project teams. The role is responsible for regular financial analysis and functional support to project teams. The role will assist with justification for both capital and R&T project requests. The role will provide forecast information in coordination with functional teams and ensure cost control within the site. This role works directly with site lead to ensure business expectations are adequately reflected in budgets, forecasts and actual results.
- Manage financial performance of the site, including KPI development, and annual budget setting.
- Responsible for coordinating and executing monthly closing and reporting activities across the site in accordance with IFRS.
- Impactful business partner to the site head and leadership team.
- Involved in all areas to provide key financial support in order to steer decisions at a site level (e.g. develop business cases to support major capital investment projects).
- Participates in site teams and committees for continuous improvement projects and new business development projects.
- Member of the Walkersville LT.
- Work with teams to prepare forecast/plan information for the site including R&T, capital projects and cost center spending
- Collaborates with department functions to provide analysis that improves decision-making and provides transparency into functional areas.
- Work with teams to challenge and adequately explain financial performance in comparison to relevant benchmarks (i.e., Prior Year, Budget, Forecast, etc.).
- Works to implement proactive tools to evaluate performance, and drive cost reduction efforts across functional areas.
- Support site / business teams to develop Capital Asset and lump sum requests including participation in discussions about capex projects and preparation of financial sections of CARs and lump sums and supporting modeling.
- Challenge project model assumptions and provide guidance and feedback to teams.
- Tracks and forecasts site R&T spending, reports variance to plan, and produces data required for reporting.
- Works with site finance service center to set R&T activity rates and annual targets.
- Ensures coordination of projects in time tracking system, SAP and Portfolio reporting.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Substantial years of work experience in in accounting or controlling is required, preferably in a manufacturing, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environment.
- Advanced Excel analytics + Strong computer skills. (SAP & BW experience, preferred)
- Advanced Analytical abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with financial modeling and analysis
- Detail oriented
- Highly organized
- Deadline driven
- Must be able to prioritize projects
- Proven ability to work and thrive in cross-functional teams, within highly technical areas
- Ability to process large data set in a fast-paced, multinational, deadline oriented environment. Maintain high thoroughness and quality of analysis.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.