Business Development Manager, Biologics (NY, NJ, PA)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is currently seeking a Business Development Manager to support our Biologics business unit in the NY, NJ, PA area. This individual will be responsible for proactively identifying and building new customer relationships for Lonza to deliver year on year revenue and pipeline opportunity growth targets for Lonza Pharma Biotech. The Business Development Manager effectively promotes current technical capabilities and new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new clinical development business opportunities in Biologics. This role will be focused on generating new business across our Applied Protein Services, Mammalian, Microbial Services, Bioconjugate Services and Drug Product service offerings and on developing and executing a territory plan.
- Responsible for generating new business from new customers through a high level of customer contact including frequent direct customer visits and extensive networking activities.
- Demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market and customers in order to differentiate Lonza from the competition
- Effectively promote current technical capabilities and emerging / new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new business opportunities. Primary means of achieving through e-mail communications, phone conversations, face-to-face meetings, and customer tailored presentations.
- Network and build trust based relationships throughout target accounts from technical personnel to the executive level.
- Effectively communicate Lonza’s position and negotiate contracts where appropriate
- Maintains strong technical and market knowledge to enable meaningful conversations with prospective customers
- Work with marketing, account managers and product development to develop strategies and a territory plan that ensure Lonza’s position as the leading solutions provider.
- Formulate value propositions to generate opportunities to address the customers' needs
- Identify market trends, assesses market potential and develop strategies to grow market share using data from customer base / market and communicating effectively with internal stakeholders.
- Provide timely, industry leading customer support and defines and interfaces with internal resources, when necessary
- Close collaboration and team work with internal stakeholders to ensure successful closure and of opportunities
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Life Sciences or Engineering discipline
- Significant commercial experience in the Pharma, Biotech or CDMO spaec
- Proven track record in delivering year on year business targets for complex high value deals
- Strong technical understanding of drug substance and drug product manufacturing processes
- High level of understanding of the drug development process from pre-clinical to clinical development and commercialization
- Demonstrated track record to secure new customers, exhibiting a strong close rate
- Proven ability to generate PowerPoint presentations
- Effective at working with scientists and other customer stakeholders, up to and including C- Suite leaders, to discuss the value proposition of Lonza’s offerings, whether it be a small or large value deal
- Understanding of SalesForce.com customer contact management system
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Creative, adaptable, capable of self-motivation and independence
- Adept at building strong internal network and navigating a complex matrix organization to optimize influence for ensuring appropriate support levels for territory opportunities
- Customer facing attitude. The ability to build relationships based on trust and long term commitment. Strong gravitas, particularly in specific technology area of focus
- Experience of working in and driving teams to a specific customer based result.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.