Engineer, Product Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech’s Bend, Oregon location has an excellent opportunity for an Engineer, Product Development who will be responsible for the research and development of pharmaceutical and drug delivery products in collaboration with internal and client project teams. As the Engineer, Product Development, you will design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and clearly present results. You’ll use knowledge of engineering fundamentals and the ability to apply these in an experimental setting to develop and scale-up processes.
- Understand and apply chemical and engineering fundamentals including chemistry, materials science, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, conservation of mass and energy, and basic mathematical modeling
- Collaborate with client and internal multi-disciplinary team members to define formulation, process, and product development approach
- Review, interpret, and react to data in order to drive product development progression
- Formulate and present experimental results to internal teams and/or clients
- Support scheduling and coordinating of work plan execution to ensure safe, high quality, and on time delivery of project milestones across multiple projects
- Advance appropriate models to relate key product attributes to material attributes and process parameters
- Prepare estimate of development costs for management, clients, and other stakeholders
- Prepare written documents such as standard operating procedures, memos, reports, and tech transfer documentation
- Serve as subject matter expert (SME) / technical expert in specific area(s) of expertise as required across portfolio of programs/products
- Assist and support GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) manufacturing by participating in activities, including, but not limited to: development study design and execution, training, clinical tech transfer, investigation support, product commercialization and ongoing product support, equipment design and qualification, and change control
- Evaluate pharmaceutical equipment and processes to identify ways to optimize performance or to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations
- Build development and regulatory knowledge base to support specific program goals such as regulatory submissions
- Identify opportunities for new technologies and/or improvements to existing technologies
- Bachelors degree required
- Experience working with clients and technical teams is preferred
- Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions
- Works independently; receives minimal guidance
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.