Senior Scientist (Contingent Worker - 12 month contract)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza (Octane Biotech) is known for designing, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing the Cocoon® Platform cell therapy manufacturing platform is seeking a Senior Scientist (Contingent Worker) for its R&D Innovation Team. The team is focused on developing novel, innovative features and processes for the Cocoon to increase its capabilities while maintaining it as the market-leading platform for patient-scale cell therapy manufacturing. This is imperative for the Cocoon’s Platform success in the fast growing, evolving cellular immunotherapy field.
The current role is a one year contract position and the candidate will be responsible for supporting the Biology R&D Innovation Cocoon activities. Specific focus will be on the development of a novel magnetic separation feature.
The Scientist will work in a cross-disciplinary team with the goal of driving innovation of scalable bioreactor processes related to the manufacture and use of therapeutic cells. The team member will be responsible for developing innovative cell manufacturing processes. This biologist or bioengineer will be expected to identify requirements, design and execute experiments, as well as assist in new process tech transfers. Cross departmental communication will be required to convey requirements to achieve targets. The Scientist will be responsible for acquiring, analyzing, and communicating experimental data in a cross-functional fashion. This member will be responsible for communicating with clients and leading other team members in executing experimental plans. This person will be accountable for achieving key goals according to a schedule.
- Planning, running and/or supervising experiments to evaluate, develop and optimize upstream and downstream cell therapy manufacturing processes
- Optimizing novel magnetic separation system and processes
- Qualifying magnetic separation feature prior to market launch
- Translating client process into automated system
- Critically analyzing processes for improvement to establish and optimize new processes for eventual incorporation into clinical cell therapy production
- Independently designing and executing experiments, including data analysis, communication of results and proposals for next steps
- Obtaining and analyzing experimental data
- Maintaining accurate and up to date records
- Capable of achieving deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Writing technical documents including SOPs, test protocols and reports
- Communicating with clients and other stakeholders
- Developing timelines to achieve technical targets
- Supervising and mentoring other staff members
- Presenting technical data to a range of audiences
- Work within a self-directed team environment
- Other duties as assigned or determined
- Master’s or Doctorate (preferred)
- Extensive experience/knowledge of cell culture techniques (preferably with immune cells)
- Experience with magnetic separation of cells
- Experience with flow cytometry
- Technical report writing
- Computer skills, MS Office
- Data analysis, presentation and communication skills
- A strong data analysis/statistics background
- Good written and oral communication skills; independent work skills; strong work ethic; delegating skills; ability to perform in a team setting
- Hygiene & sterile technique
- Health & safety
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.