EHS Specialist II
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The EHS Specialist II will be responsible for maintaining the site Environmental, Health and Safety programs. The incumbent will have specific responsibility for both the implementation and maintenance of assigned programs in Environmental, Health and Safety programs. Will use EHS knowledge and experience to assist site personnel to achieve EHS objectives.
- Program Development – Assist with the development, evaluation, implementation, and administration of EHS, IH, ergonomics, and OH policies and programs at Hayward to meet regulatory compliance, sustain the environment, and provide a safe place to work.
- Program Implementation / Enforcement – Work with site employees and contractors, as well as departmental Behavior Based Safety (BBS) teams. Provide guidance on EHS issues and non-routine problem solving.
- Assist and participate in Safety Pillar initiatives to align with project tracking and goals (i.e. Sustainability, Ergonomics, Business Continuity Planning).
- Member of the site Emergency Response Team (ERT) for emergency situations, including hazardous materials spills, pandemic response, and medical situations. Participate in routine EHS drills on site.
- Recordkeeping / Reporting – collect, organize and maintain data and records for EHS permit compliance and reporting. Track and trend safety near misses, incidents and associated actions.
- Inspections / Audits – Conduct, coordinate and participate in EHS inspections and audits, including internal inspections, corporate, regulatory and customer audits.
- Risk Assessments – Lead, assist, participate in EHS risk assessments for new operations, equipment, chemicals, and products.
- Training – Assist in the preparation and delivery of EHS training to employees
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Entry to Intermediate Level years’ in EHS.
- Biotech industry experience; some prior experience in a manufacturing setting preferred.
- Works with EHS Manager on working within site EHS Budget
- Compliance with aspects of GMP
- Compliance with all federal (OSHA1910, NIOSH, NFPA, ANSI), State of California and local regulations. Must comply with company and site safety policies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievement themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.