Head of MSAT - Viral Vector
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Head of Manufacturing Sciences and Technology, Viral Vector (MSAT) will have primary responsibility for Lonza’s MSAT department at our Houston, TX facility. This position is responsible for managing Technology Transfer (Viral Vector, Cell and Gene Therapy Tech Transfer) from Process Development (PD) Lonza or drop in transfers from customers, MSAT Lab (production support and troubleshooting), Data Entry (process improvement), Aseptic Techniques, and Process Validation (process performance qualification and support in commercialization). The Head of MSAT will demonstrate leadership skills including providing employee guidance, development and coaching to ensure the teams are aligned to the site strategy and are supporting the site to deliver on our current contracts and business pursuits. The position is a full member of the Houston Site Leadership team, responsible for delivery and site strategy.
- Performs all functions associated with leading the multiple groups in the MSAT organization
- Focus on safety, resource planning, oversight of the groups work deliverables, overview of group budgetary performance, oversight of quality records and quality performance, providing guidance and advice on Lonza policy and procedures, promoting global interactions, mediating conflicts, providing technical input, providing guidance on company strategy, prioritizing work and assisting in establishing long term group direction and objectives.
- Provides direct coaching, mentoring and development to each member of the MSAT management team both in execution of their group responsibilities and in their own personal development.
- Develops and coaches direct reports for future leadership roles. In addition, provide coaching and mentoring to all members of the MSAT organization for their personal and professional development.
- Engage with Evaluation and Program Managers and directly with our customers to ensure projects are planned and executed appropriately in order to deliver to, and meet the needs of our customers and the business
- Engage interact and communicate with the site leadership team through SLT meetings, various councils and the DMS to ensure SLT and the site is aligned to support successful delivery as a business to our customers and to Lonza.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences or Biomedical/Chemical Engineering. Masters of Science or Engineering or PhD highly preferred.
- Extensive biotech industry experience in process development, process scale up/manufacturing and process validation.
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and manufacturing support ( Viral Vector, Cell and Gene Therapy preferred)
- US/EU regulations and intermediate knowledge of statistical data analysis
- Knowledge should span across both upstream (cell biology, cell culture, scale up and mass transfer, bioreactor operation, and filtration) and downstream (scale up, chromatography, Batch ultrafiltration/diafiltration (UF/DF) and virus filtration) technologies and include small scale (laboratory) experience.
- Effectively presents information and ideas formally and informally, verbally and in writing to others in a manner that facilitates understanding.
- Able to concisely communicate status, needs, forecasts, risks and timelines effectively to senior management
- Displays a clear willingness to listen to others. Has good interpersonal skills and works collaboratively in an effective manner to achieve objectives.
- Practices safety awareness at all times and considers impact of actions prior to executing activities.
- The capacity to inspire and motivate a large team in the achievement of specific objectives
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.