Student Placement - R&D
R&D Student Placement (2021/22)
At Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), we combine technological innovation with world-class manufacturing and regulatory excellence. We are a leader in Microbial Control Solutions and chemical technologies used in various applications including hygiene and home care. Today, these solutions are more critical than ever to maintain the hygiene and safety of hospitals, homes, schools, and offices across the world. Our Speciality Chemical Services business provides composite materials for technically demanding industries and performance intermediates & chemicals. Our Custom development and manufacturing team has already brought more than 1,000 unique solutions to life for their customers.
We are a highly dynamic group of 3,000 employees in more than 25 countries around the world. For us, performance, collaboration, passion and care are fundamentals. Are YOU someone who CARES about finding unique solutions for customers, who is PASSIONATE about making a difference? We are looking for talent who embrace COLLABORATION and are motivated by a PERFORMANCE culture.
LSI is looking for a Student Placement supporting our R&D team based at Lonza’s Technical Centre in Castleford. This 12 month fixed-term contract is part of our proven annual student placement programme.
Reporting to the Technical Lead, the R&D Technician will support Technical Service functions for wood preservation. The role will be predominantly laboratory based (90%) with some office based tasks required (10%). This position is a 1 year contract position to aid with routine and non-routine application science of wood preservative formulations. The position will predominantly focus on one of the largest R&D projects within LSI. Work is entry level: no experience required but applicants should be mid-way through completing a chemistry (or similar) degree and have a theoretical understanding of analytical chemistry.
You will use a wide range of analytical methods including HPLC, GC and XRF to quantify levels of actives in both development samples, and as part of routine product support analysis.
As the ideal candidate you will be communicative, enthusiastic and motivated. You will have a keen interest in chemistry and the ability to follow instruction; verbal and written. You will be part of a larger Technical Service / R&D team therefore the ability to work as part of a team is crucial.
This exciting position offers the perfect opportunity for you to gain valuable industrial experience to progress your future scientific career.
- Conducting industry standard analytical test methods for the Wood business segment, to a high degree of accuracy and replication
- Working as an integral part of the laboratory team you will support colleagues, maintaining high quality standards and using innovation to improve processes / method testing and development
- You will keep up to date with industry specific legislation and testing methodology to raise personal capability within the technical community
- You will be expected to ensure all work is carried out in a safe manner in accordance with internal and UK health and safety regulations
- Plan and complete assigned tasks within the required timeframe contributing to wider business needs
- Analyse and interpret data against specifications and identify trends within that data
- Communicate progress and escalate challenges to Line Manager and / or scientific lead
- To ensure that both laboratory housekeeping is completed on a daily basis and reagent / consumable stock control are maintained to required standards
- Current undergraduate student in either a chemical or biological discipline
- A good understanding / practical experience analytical methods such as HPLC, GC or XRF
- A good awareness of laboratory Health & Safety specifically, CoSHH
- Proficient in the use of IT and using Microsoft Office packages
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication / interpersonal and organisational skills, demonstrating attention to detail
- Proactive nature and a desire to learn
A major part of the heritage of LSI is being able to deliver unique solutions to our customers. Being the driving force behind this approach – listening, asking, understanding to match the right elements in a new way has been an inherent part of our day-to-day business. Always with the goal to enable a competitive advantage for each customer with a specific product, package or solution. What makes YOU different?
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.