Student Placement – Quality (2021/22)
At Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), we combine technological innovation with world-class manufacturing and regulatory excellence. We are a leader in Microbial Control Solutions and chemical technologies used in various applications including hygiene and home care. Today, these solutions are more critical than ever to maintain the hygiene and safety of hospitals, homes, schools, and offices across the world. Our Speciality Chemical Services business provides composite materials for technically demanding industries and performance intermediates & chemicals. Our Custom development and manufacturing team has already brought more than 1,000 unique solutions to life for their customers.
We are a highly dynamic group of 3,000 employees in more than 25 countries around the world. For us, performance, collaboration, passion and care are fundamentals. Are YOU someone who CARES about finding unique solutions for customers, who is PASSIONATE about making a difference? We are looking for talent who embrace COLLABORATION and are motivated by a PERFORMANCE culture.
LSI is looking for a Student Placement supporting our Quality Control laboratory based at Lonza’s manufacturing hub in Huddersfield. Our Huddersfield site is a major production plant manufacturing for Europe, Asia and Africa. Production is carried out 24/7 and the on-site QC team are responsible for maintaining all analytical and quality systems in support of this manufacturing operation.
This 12 month fixed-term contract is part of our proven annual student placement programme. The placement will encompass experience of all aspects of manufacturing from new product introduction, materials management through production and . The successful applicant will complete the placement, having gained a wide range of industrial experience as well as an in-depth knowledge of analytical techniques utilising some of the latest techniques and equipment such as liquid chromatography, XRF, titration and UV/Vis.
- Following site systems and procedures to ensure safety and quality standards are maintained.
- Working within the QC team to analyse routine production samples in support of manufacturing.
- To become competent in independently operating laboratory equipment, including HPLC, XRF, spectroscopy and other general laboratory techniques.
- Provide support to the Analysts in their project work.
- Maintaining the housekeeping standards within the laboratory environment.
- You will be studying towards a degree in Chemistry, or similar, incorporating analytical chemistry modules.
- The successful candidate will have some knowledge and awareness of basic laboratory and chemical handling techniques.
- Possess the ability to work within a small team and also independently.
- Be able to work to deadlines and demonstrate time management skills.
- Have an ability to follow complex written and verbal instructions and to seek clarification when required.
- Being focussed on detail and able to work with accuracy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of delivering on customer requirements.
A major part of the heritage of LSI is being able to deliver unique solutions to our customers. Being the driving force behind this approach – listening, asking, understanding to match the right elements in a new way has been an inherent part of our day-to-day business. Always with the goal to enable a competitive advantage for each customer with a specific product, package or solution. What makes YOU different?
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.