Senior Strategic Buyer
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Senior Strategic Buyer leads assigned procurement categories and tasks for Lonza AG, Pharma and Biotech (LPB). Identifies and delivers value based on category management excellence and through applying a professional Procurement approach. Drives category expertise through an understanding of supply markets/trends, cost drivers and the impact to Lonza’s business model. Works closely with key stakeholders to develop effective sourcing strategies that enable step change improvements in quality, service, innovation and sustainable annual cost reductions. Incorporates knowledge of internal and external manufacturing capabilities to support make vs. buy decisions. Develop supplier relationships that leverage supplier capabilities, improve supply continuity and reduce total cost of ownership. Effectively prioritize work incorporating Operations, Quality and Business Unit requirements.
- Manage the relevant product supply process and enhance the overall effectiveness of the supply chain
- Develop and maintain market understanding and working knowledge of supply economics, processes and cost drivers for the relevant product portfolio, including staying abreast of new technologies.
- Interpret information and translate into actionable strategies and forward-looking analyses. Ensure sourcing objectives, actions and priorities are aligned both within Global Procurement and the stakeholders.
- Support and lead specific supplier selection, negotiation and supplier management strategies – maintain alignment and support strategy development on entire category with overall category owner
- Drive awareness of active supply issues clarifying business impact and lead resolution plans.
- Review Supplier Change Notices and work closely with Supplier Quality to prioritize and drive implementations.
- Work closely with Supplier Quality to monitor supplier performance metrics and actively participate in CAPA development, execution and closure plans – drive supplier accountability.
- Review supplier audit schedule, conduct pre audit meeting with supplier, participate in post supplier audit meetings; Attend supplier audits when feasible.
- Maintain knowledge of Approved Suppliers and assist Supplier Quality to execute supplier Quality Agreements
- Share 12-18 month rolling requirements forecasts with suppliers and work with Lonza manufacturing sites to develop effective inventory replenishment strategies.
- Deeply assess supply base to identify risks of supply disruptions within the supply chain.
- Develop risk management strategies and drive development and implementation of appropriate risk mitigation plans.
- Work closely with business stakeholders to understand business impact and build inventories and implement alternate sources of supply where appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree minimum: Preferred area of study: Purchasing, Engineering, Chemistry, Finance or Business
- Significant operations experience in Procurement/Procurement.
- Experience in a regulated industry (i.e. pharmaceutical, food) preferred.
- Business and financial acumen and Procurement expertise
- Skills in all procurement processes including commodity management, supplier management, negotiations, contract management and e-procurement systems.
- Research, analysis, summary recommendation skills.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills.
- Experience managing global relationships both internal and external.
- Project management skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Effective communication skills.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.