Microbiology Student Placement (2021/22)
At Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), we combine technological innovation with world-class manufacturing and regulatory excellence. We are a leader in Microbial Control Solutions and chemical technologies used in various applications including hygiene and home care and industrial preservation. Today, these solutions are more critical than ever to maintain the hygiene and safety of hospitals, homes, schools, and offices across the world. Our Speciality Chemical Services business provides composite materials for technically demanding industries and performance intermediates & chemicals. Our Custom development and manufacturing team has already brought more than 1,000 unique solutions to life for their customers.
We are a highly dynamic group of 3,000 employees in more than 25 countries around the world. For us, performance, collaboration, passion and care are fundamentals. Are YOU someone who CARES about finding unique solutions for customers, who is PASSIONATE about making a difference? We are looking for talent who embrace COLLABORATION and are motivated by a PERFORMANCE culture.
LSI is looking for a Student Placement (Microbiology) supporting our Paint and Coatings Microbiology Team based at Lonza’s R&D hub in Blackley. This 12 month fixed-term contract is part of our proven annual student placement programme.
This laboratory-based role supports Lonza's active paint and coatings preservation programme through the formulation, characterisation and development of preservation technologies. The role will encompass experimental work to understand the fundamental interactions between product ingredients, substrates and testing methodologies. The role will provide experience of an industrial R&D environment, delivering first class technical service to our many customers and also includes the opportunity to investigate new technologies designed to optimize efficiency and productivity, with training and supervision provided by full-time expert staff. The role would best suit an enthusiastic, versatile micro-biologist, with a keen eye for accuracy and precision.
- Conducting industry standard microbiological test methods for the Hygiene & Preservation business segments, to a high degree of accuracy and replication
- Maintaining up to date lab-book, recording results and experimental data to agreed standards during placement. Participate in Hygiene & Preservation meetings and stakeholder presentations as required and be prepared to present updates at these technical meetings.
- Liaise closely with other members of the Consumer Care technical team and provide technical support to key stakeholders through the application of scientific experience, knowledge and practical skills
- Working as an integral part of the microbiology laboratory team you will support colleagues, maintaining high quality standards and using innovation to improve processes
- You will keep up to date with industry specific legislation and testing methodology to raise personal capability within the technical community
- You will be expected to ensure all work is carried out in a safe manner in accordance with internal and UK health and safety regulations
- Studying for a B.Sc or M.Sc. in Microbiology
- Strong A-level results in physical sciences, especially Biology
- Preferred area of study: Microbiology
- Knowledge and experience of aseptic techniques
- Ideally a knowledge of microbial preservation techniques and the requirement for such in the modern world.
- Focused with a willingness to learn and adopt new skills and the ability to hold self and others to a quality, on-time delivery
- Ability to draw own conclusions from data and make recommendations for next steps
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Confidence to present own work to a varied audience, ranging from scientific experts to non-scientists
A major part of the heritage of LSI is being able to deliver unique solutions to our customers. Being the driving force behind this approach – listening, asking, understanding to match the right elements in a new way has been an inherent part of our day-to-day business. Always with the goal to enable a competitive advantage for each customer with a specific product, package or solution. What makes YOU different?
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.