Scientist Cell Culture
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is establishing a strategic biomanufacturing based in China using GE Healthcare Solutions. With the new facility, Lonza is responding to growing demand for a high-quality CDMO in the Chinese market.
As Scientist Cell Culture, you need to be responsible for the development and characterization of manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. The purpose of this role is to execute cell line and process development activities and to provide technical expertise to support troubleshooting activities at both laboratory and manufacturing scale.
- To perform hands-on laboratory work in the cell line and upstream process development team contributing to the development of processes and creation of cell lines suitable for technology transfer to the Current Good Manufacture Practices manufacturing teams. An understanding of Current Good Manufacture Practices manufacturing facility constraints and their impact on development activities will be developed.
- Contribute to customer projects by generating and interpreting scientific data from experimental work.
- Interpret analytical data provided by the analytical team to define subsequent steps.
- Deliver high quality communication to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, presentations, teleconferences, face to face meetings).
- Working as part of a site and global project team, co-ordinate multiple projects (if at senior level) and ensure timely delivery of project workstages.
- Cell culture processes include; Cell Line Development (routine cell culture, transfection, Fluorescence Activating Cell Sorter, cell imaging); Process Development (ambr15 miniaturized bioreactors, 10L laboratory scale bioreactors, single use bioreactors)
- General laboratory support including housekeeping, equipment calibration and maintenance, inventory of supplies, etc.
- Documentation of results in accordance with Lonza policies and current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- Review of data (if at senior level) generated by others highlighting any unusual or atypical results/procedures.
- May mentor junior members (if at a senior level) to assist in their development, providing a transfer of knowledge and hands-on technical training.
- The initial phase of this position will be involved in the establishment of the facility (including but not limited to equipment and inventory purchase, equipment qualification runs, facility design and set up).
- Degree/ Doctor of Philosophy in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Practical laboratory experience in cell culture is required
- The final role offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
- Understanding of theory and application of mammalian cell culture.
- Understanding of Current Good Manufacture Practices regulations will be advantageous
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good teamworking skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English will be advantageous
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.