Head of Engineering
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
For Lonza Geleen site we have a great opportunity for a Head of Engineering to join us. The Head of Engineering is responsible for the safe, reliable and compliant operation of Lonza NL facilities and accountable for the cGMP compliant maintenance, calibration and qualification status of all process and QC equipment. You will be responsible for the coordination, supervision and execution of these activities using internal and external resources in partnership with QA validation and the departments using the equipment. The accountability includes budgetary and people management. As Head of Engineering you manage ownership up to mid-size capex investments and shutdown coordination of the entire LNL site.
The Head of Engineering contributes to the strategy, policies and the results of Lonza NL as a member of the Site Leadership Team.
- Responsibilities include hiring, organizing, training and retaining energized, motivated, team oriented staff. Develop the technical, GMP and leadership skills of the engineering staff
- Delivers on commitments of engineering responsibilities, work to be performed and timelines pertaining to area of responsibility and proactively addresses any obstacles and finds solutions with stakeholders
- Understand regulatory requirements and Lonza policies pertaining to the area of responsibility
- Ensure Engineering policies or procedures are appropriate and establish and/or revise, as necessary
- Ensure regulatory and customer inspection readiness and represent the department and participate in audits as required
- Collaborate and prioritize with Engineering, other departments and/or customers to create an achievable work schedule and to ensure agreed upon timelines are met
- Represent Manufacturing and Lonza in customer meetings to receive/deliver information, request and requirements
- Measures performance and other appropriate metrics and report them to management
- Takes ownership of any quality records such as non-conformances, audit corrective/preventive actions and delivers on time
- Responsible and accountable for all medium and short term planning processes to ensure fully integrated capacity planning, and labor planning including the shutdown
- Continuously looking for opportunities to improve the workflows to maintain a state of compliance and increase efficiency
- Prepare and manage the engineering department’s budget
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experienced in working under a stringent quality system is required, cGMP experience preferred
- Extensive leadership experience within an operative manufacturing company
- Safe work environment leadership, development of high performing teams, delivering progressive continuous improvement in a multi-layered organization
- Solid background in the engineering field, preferable in sterile pharmaceuticals
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent proven project management skills
- Managing plant shut downs
- Successful incumbent to successfully lead the organization of internal and external staff leaders who are direct reports
- This role it is required to inspire and compel excellence in performance from the leadership team, Engineering team and broader Netherlands Site’s organization through visible energy, enthusiasm and creditability
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.