Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Due to growth within Lonza, we are seeking an experienced Senior Scientist (bio-processing) to compliment the cell engineering team in Cambridge. We are seeking a variety of skills and experience to work on projects that create CHO (Chinese hamster ovary) cell lines and gene expression platforms with better performance characteristics. In the cell engineering team we include scientists with a diverse range of skills and experience across a range of fields including cell and molecular biology, mammalian cell culture, recombinant protein expression, protein engineering, and cell engineering (i.e. CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing). We apply this experience to further the development of new and emerging technologies in the field of biologics manufacturing, and we also provide an interface between key academic partners and the industrial environment.
- Innovation and technology development of new expression systems and related process development services
- Collate, analyse, evaluate and sign-off data to produce good quality information and records
- Lead technical work under the direction of principle scientists and above
- Presentation of data in written reports and for oral presentations
- Contribute ideas and opinions to scientific discussions to aid the development of new technologies
- Work closely with other groups within R&D to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein (in particular with R&D Process Development and R&D Microbial)
- Actively keep abreast of relevant academic literature
- 80% lab based role
- PhD Degree in Life Sciences / Science/ Molecular Biology/ Biotechnology or practical experience in an industrial setting
- A good R&D technological background in molecular biology, relevant mammalian cell culture techniques e.g CHO cell lines with the aim of developing and manipulating mammalian expression systems (hosts, vectors and processes) for synthesis of recombinant proteins
- Key molecular biology skills desired include gene cloning and vector construction, qPCR/digital PCR, and experience in the use of suitable software packages such as DNAStar Lasergene and/or Vector NTI
- Key cell culture techniques desired include mammalian cell culture, transient/stable transfections, fed-batch culture, and evaluation of cell lines by flow cytometry/FACS.
- Experience in the use of CRISPR-Cas9 or related technology for mammalian genome editing would be advantageous
- Proven track record in working in a relevant discipline (e.g. creating and/or manipulation of mammalian expression vectors and expression systems; running various relevant cell culture systems e.g., static, suspension cell AND bioreactor culture)
- Demonstrates contribution to technology development projects, with a preference for experience of implementing new technologies that can be transferred from research environment to a GMP environment
- Good working knowledge of statistics, expertise in design of experiments/multivariate techniques while not essential is desirable
- Knowledge of FACS techniques is desirable
- Experience of generating stable cell lines/pools, potentially using transposon systems
- Basic protein chemistry/analytical techniques (HPLC, electrophoresis, immunoassays etc.)
- Familiarity with modern genomics and next generation sequencing technologies would be an advantage but is not essential
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.