Student Placement (Chemistry)
Chemistry Student Placement (2021/22)
At Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), we combine technological innovation with world-class manufacturing and regulatory excellence. We are a leader in Microbial Control Solutions and chemical technologies used in various applications including hygiene and home care. Today, these solutions are more critical than ever to maintain the hygiene and safety of hospitals, homes, schools, and offices across the world. Our Specialty Chemical Services business provides composite materials for technically demanding industries and performance intermediates & chemicals. Our Custom development and manufacturing team has already brought more than 1,000 unique solutions to life for their customers.
We are a highly dynamic group of 3,000 employees in more than 25 countries around the world. For us, performance, collaboration, passion and care are fundamentals. Are YOU someone who CARES about finding unique solutions for customers, who is PASSIONATE about making a difference? We are looking for talent who embrace COLLABORATION and are motivated by a PERFORMANCE culture.
LSI is looking for a Student Placement (Chemistry) supporting our Hygiene & Preservation Formulation Team based at Lonza’s R&D hub in Blackley. This 12 month fixed-term contract is part of our proven annual student placement programme.
This laboratory-based role supports Lonza's active Hygiene & Preservation programme through the formulation, characterisation and development of disinfectant technologies and / or novel product preservation technologies by various physico-chemical methods (i.e. interfacial tensions, dynamic tension, particle size analysis, and stability studies). The role will encompass experimental work to understand the fundamental interactions between product ingredients, substrates and testing methodologies under the direction of a Senior R&D Surfactant Scientist. The role will also incorporate product development work on active innovation projects, with training and supervision provided by full-time expert staff. The role will provide experience of an industrial R&D environment and include the opportunity to contribute to business-critical short term deliverables and also to conduct some original investigations into surfactant ingredient interactions within complex liquid products. The role would best suit an enthusiastic, versatile chemistry, chemical engineering or physics undergraduate with a particular interest in physical or organic chemistry.
- Contribute to the characterisation and development of novel homecare, hard surface and skin disinfection formulations and / or novel preservation technologies within a fast-moving innovation project framework. Generate prototypes for the formulation and efficacy testing of said product systems. Where necessary, support or lead protocol development to refine testing methodologies
- Help to define and execute an original programme of practical scientific research to build deeper fundamental understanding of one or more aspects of Hygiene and Preservation product formulation. Probable topics include surface-active ingredient interactions within products and product-substrate interactions
- Keep up to date lab-book, monthly report of work and write-up summary of findings during placement. Participate in Hygiene & Preservation team meetings and stakeholder presentations as required and be prepared to present and discuss own programme of work
- Exposure to research in industry; the Student will be introduced to the various functions and roles at Lonza
- Studying for a B.Sc or M.Sc. in Chemistry, Physics or Chemical Engineering
- Strong A-level results in physical sciences, especially chemistry
- Preferred area of study: Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering
- Knowledge of physical chemistry and formulation science
- Ideally a knowledge or background in soft matter physics or surfactant chemistry, with a strong focus / background in handling and drawing conclusions from experimental data
- Focused with a willingness to learn and adopt new skills and the ability to hold self and others to a quality, on-time delivery
- Ability to draw own conclusions from data and make recommendations for next steps
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Confidence to present own work to a varied audience, ranging from scientific experts to non-scientists
A major part of the heritage of LSI is being able to deliver unique solutions to our customers. Being the driving force behind this approach – listening, asking, understanding to match the right elements in a new way has been an inherent part of our day-to-day business. Always with the goal to enable a competitive advantage for each customer with a specific product, package or solution. What makes YOU different?
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.