Technical Services Microbiologist, CO
At Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), we combine technological innovation with world-class manufacturing and regulatory excellence. We are a leader in Microbial Control Solutions and chemical technologies used in various applications including hygiene and home care. Today, these solutions are more critical than ever to maintain the hygiene and safety of hospitals, homes, schools, and offices across the world. Our Speciality Chemical Services business provides composite materials for technically demanding industries and performance intermediates & chemicals. Our Custom development and manufacturing team has already brought more than 1,000 unique solutions to life for their customers.
We are a highly dynamic group of 3,000 employees in more than 25 countries around the world. For us, performance, collaboration, passion and care are fundamentals. Are YOU someone who CARES about finding unique solutions for customers, who is PASSIONATE about making a difference? We are looking for talent who embrace COLLABORATION and are motivated by a PERFORMANCE culture.
LSI is looking for a Microbiologist supporting our Materials Protection & Performance business located Blackley.
This laboratory-based role supports Lonza’s Technical Service, predominantly for our Paints & Coatings programme, through microbiology testing to evaluate and optimise biocides in customer products. In this role you will be expected to make recommendations for use of concentrations, and ultimately to support the sales of biocidal products. R&D work is also required to evaluate and support the generation of new biocide formulations and to support regulatory submissions. This role will require the application of scientific skills, knowledge and experience in order to design and conduct appropriate experiments, to generate and interpret data in support of agreed technical service and product development programmes.
- Co-ordinate and conduct a wide range of traditional and novel microbiological tests, undertaking several pieces of work in parallel, to support internal and external requirements of multiple stakeholders, generating results within agreed deadlines
- You will also participate in the introduction and testing of novel microbiology techniques aimed at monitoring and enumeration of microorganisms
- You will be responsible for planning and contributing to a practical programme of work within the materials protection technical service and application development areas
- Liaising closely with other members of the materials protection team you will be expected to provide technical support to key stakeholders
- Working as part of this team you support colleagues, perform all work in a safe manner, in accordance with internal quality, EHS standards and COSHH regulations
- You will be expected to produce and maintain input of accurate results and reports into our Biocides Information Retrieval Database to agreed standards
- You will also be required to interpret and execute existing protocols and literature precedents to meet the specific needs of a customer and to support new materials protection applications and products
- Monitor and organise service contracts for equipment to ensure that it is maintained and serviced regularly, to allow work to be carried out safely and in a timely manner
- B.Sc or M.Sc. in Biological Sciences / Microbiology or equivalent experience
- You will have a proven track record in a microbiology lab in an industrial environment
- Experience in the biocides industry would be advantageous
- Having previous knowledge and experience of specialist equipment or techniques you will be able to perform microbiology test methods, to approved standards, and be able to identify deviations from these standards
- Your strong inter-personal skills combined with good communication will provide you with the confidence to communicate at all levels, to a varied audience including scientific experts and non-scientists
- You will be able to manage multiple tasks / projects using your planning and organisational skills to ensure deadlines are met for both internal and external customers
- Your problem-solving skills will allow you to form judgments based on practical experience and knowledge to allow effective communication of technical information to the customer
- Your IT skills will show proficiency with Microsoft Office packages, particularly Excel and Word and experience of using SalesForce.com will be of advantage
A major part of the heritage of LSI is being able to deliver unique solutions to our customers. Being the driving force behind this approach – listening, asking, understanding to match the right elements in a new way has been an inherent part of our day-to-day business. Always with the goal to enable a competitive advantage for each customer with a specific product, package or solution. What makes YOU different?
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.