Senior/Lead Analytical Scientist
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Development Services team are responsible for the development and characterization of mammalian cell culture processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. We have a number of positions available for candidates ranging from five or more years of experience.
The successful applicant for one of these positions will join the Analytical Services team within Development Services at Lonza Singapore. The Analytical Services team are responsible for a range of activities including rapid analytical support for the process development teams, development and validation of analytical test methods, product characterization and stability studies and cGMP analytical testing to generate data used for regulatory filings (IND and BLA).
You will be responsible for analytical testing and managing scientific projects in the Product Stability, Method Development / Validation, Protein Characterization or the Process Analytics team, ensuring that projects are delivered in a timely and efficient manner.
- Exercise technical discretion in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments that contribute to study strategies and study goals.
- The role holder should have demonstrated hands on experience, but are not limited to, techniques using capillary electrophoresis (icIEF, CE-SDS), HPLC/UPLC, spectrophotometry, qPCR, and ELISAs, including high throughput versions.
- Additional expertise in the design and optimization of bioassays, use of Biacore and use of methods/instruments for protein characterization (LC-MS (peptide mapping, intact mass analysis and oligosaccharide profiling)), HPLC (SEC, RP, HIC, IEX, HILIC) and SEC-MALS would also be considered advantageous for the subset of roles in the Analytical Services team.
- Design and execute experimental plans to develop and validate analytical methods for use with recombinant biopharmaceutical products.
- Verify method performance meets the requirements defined in the analytical target profile.
- Method troubleshooting and optimization where required.
- Preparation and approval of test methods, study protocols and study reports.
- Ensuring analytical studies meet the required quality standards, data has been correctly interpreted and the analytical methods used are fit for purpose.
- Leading problem solving investigations and supports OOS/OOT investigations as required.
- Provide leadership to junior team members through their expert scientific knowledge.
- Awareness of phase appropriate regulatory and quality expectations for analytical studies.
- Organizational and communication skills required to manage multiple studies and discuss complex data (through both written reports and verbal presentations) with relevant managers, QA and Customers).
- Collaborate with other functions in the analytical department to contribute to customer projects by generating and interpreting scientific data from experimental work.
- Deliver high quality communication to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, teleconferences and face to face meetings).
- Working as part of a site and global project team, co-ordinate multiple projects and ensure timely delivery of project work stages.
- Facilitate communication between other departments in Singapore and across the global Lonza network (e.g. Development/MSAT/QC/QA/Program Management).
- Degree in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Positions available would be suitable for candidates ranging from those with 5 or more years of relevant experience, including candidates with a PhD.
- Practical laboratory experience in analytical testing development for antibodies or other recombinant proteins would be advantageous although training will be provided if applicable.
- The Analytical Development roles may suit a candidate with prior experience in a cGMP / QC laboratory.
- The final role offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
- Understanding of theory and application of recombinant protein production, purification and analysis
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent team working skills
- Experience working within a formal Quality Management System (cGxP/ISO)
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.