Head of Operations
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Head of Operations is responsible for directing the manufacturing operations for single customer cGMP production asset(s), and will be responsible for managing safety, quality, compliance and efficient, product delivery and financial execution.
This role will lead a dedicated management team with full accountability for asset profitability and success. Direct responsibility for the operations team and leading via a matrixed organization for functions providing support to execution including Engineering, Facilities, EHS, PM, QA, MSAT, QC, PPL. In this role, you will be responsible for partnering with customers for delivering a safe and compliant operation both internally and externally. Driving continuous improvement activities, strategy development and delivery, as well as supporting organizational development and cultural leadership.
- Partnering with Quality Assurance to develop, modify, implement and operate quality systems aligning with Lonza, cGMP and regulatory standards.
- Responsible for attracting and retaining skilled talent; training and encouraging a team-centric environment that improves business performance.
- Single point of accountability with authority to execute activities and manage resources necessary for production plan achievement.
- Lead the department, managing safety, quality, compliance and efficient, product delivery, batch release, and financial execution.
- Empowered to reach across functional areas and across phases of execution.
- Ensure that the manufacturing facility is in a continuous state of readiness for production and GMP audits.
- Supervise, train and mentor the manufacturing management team
- Create a high-performance team that emphasizes strengths-based execution, accountability, open communication, people development and continuous improvement. Focus on people development, identification and development of successors and High Potentials.
- As head of an emerging asset, must be able to lead through indirect reporting structure, or dotted-line, and influence to ensure the success of the business, and positive customer outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred. Preferred area of study in Science, Engineering or Business.
- Experience with six sigma and lean manufacturing, Green or Black Belt desired.
- Substantial experience in manufacturing and operations in a GMP environment, preferable in large molecule biologics.
- Experience running and managing an operational area, with working experience in quality, MSAT and/or Engineering.
- Experience in a start-up environment, preferably GMP.
- Technical transfer experience desired.
- Clinical experience would be beneficial
- Ability to effectively deal with ambiguity, translate long term objectives into short term tactical plans and balance risk for overall plant and business success
- High level of suite specific operations and technical skills
- Demonstrates ability for effective Planning, Organizing and Controlling competency
- Demonstrates sound decision making, considering broad scope of factors
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels in verbal and written form. Able to manage multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously
- Exceptional leadership, interpersonal communication, negotiations, collaboration and management skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and direct tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical
- Must be capable of motivating others, creating a positive work climate where inter-departmental collaboration, coaching and performance feedback are continuous and compulsory.
- Capable of clearly assigning objectives, setting, measuring and monitoring progress, marshaling resources and handling competing priorities.
- Must be able to operate cross-functionally for the overall success of the facility, customers and the business as a whole.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.