Utility Operations Technician
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Due to Lonza’s ongoing growth, we are looking for Utility Operations Technicians to join our Engineering team. You will be responsible for operation and maintenance of site wide utility systems in our cGMP manufacturing environment in an attempt to provide zero unplanned down time.
- Performs all work safely in compliance with Lonza in-house rules & regulations and mandatory Safety WSH Acts requirements. (e.g Permit to Work, Lock-Out-Tag-Out, etc)
- Ensure external service providers comply with the site safety rules.
- Apply and close work permits with Area/ System Owners for out-sourced service providers.
- Understanding of general waste management, pest control process, MRO storage process
- Operate & Maintain Utilities Systems but not limited to Water pretreatment treatment, Boiler & condensate, HVAC & Process chillers, Cooling Towers, Compressed air, process gases, WFI, Clean Steam, Cold room & Freezer, waste water, solvent, CIP 100 & 200, fire water system etc.
- Perform preventative and ad-hoc maintenance, basic troubleshooting and repairs of plant and utility systems.
- Executes routine and repair work orders as assigned by the Engineer/ Supervisor.
- Ensure all routine maintenance works duly carried out timely per schedule.
- Maintain a high level of GMP & GDP compliance for the site.
- Ensure that all maintenance activities carried out in compliance with Engineering standards and procedures.
- Respond to maintenance calls/ service breakdown calls in a timely manner.
- Flag to attention to the Lead/ Supervisor when encounter non-compliance issues including work delay, breakdown, missing parts, etc.
- Utilize troubleshooting skills and associated tools required to operate/ maintenance of system.
- Communication with System owners and team members on a daily basis pertaining to all operational & administrative matters.
- Perform tasks that are routine in nature where the ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required.
- Ensuring regulatory/ customer inspection readiness
- Ability to read P&ID drawing, Instrument loop drawing and panel drawing.
- Perform daily inspections of plant and utility systems to ensure proper operation.
- Oversee deliveries of process gasses and supplies as well as pickup of chemical waste
- Diploma or a relevant National Trade Certificate with some years of relevant work experience in field utility systems in the Pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry or petrochemical industry.
- Perform shift and be available on-call when required & to support Utility O&M needs.
- Certified Boiler Attendant or Certified Steam Engineer is beneficial, but not essential
- Troubleshooting skills
- Detailed and Quality conscious
- Ability to follow SOPs and instructions
- Diligent in performing operational checks
- Good Communication skills
- Excellent Team player
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.