Cell Culture Technician
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
This position is based in our Morrisville, NC facility and is responsible for the manufacture of cell products used in primary research including isolation and culturing of primary cells derived from human or animal tissues and organs. Responsible for the operation of production equipment, maintaining records, and laboratory environment to comply with Good Manufacturing Practices, ISO 9000 regulations, and Standard Operating Procedures. May perform with in-process testing to assure batches meet specifications.
- Using aseptic technique, performs primary isolations of specific cell types from human and animal tissues by using dissection or other isolation methods.
- Performs isolations in a Laminar Flow Biological Safety Cabinet.
- Primarily focuses on isolating cells from bone marrow, peripheral blood, cord blood and leukapaks.
- Performs screening, feeding, passaging, harvesting and cryopreservation of cells.
- Utilizes aseptic technique in product handling.
- Maintains lab in good working order, which includes operation and maintenance of equipment (centrifuges, microscopes and incubators).
- Prepares media and other materials used in production processes.
- Performs general laboratory cleaning and maintains logs.
- Performs product packaging and labeling of products.
- Monitors temperature of critical equipment. Monitors calibration status of critical equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Life sciences with cell culture/biology experience preferred (Years of experience may substitute for education in some instances)
- Knowledge of cGMP preferred and/or clean room behavior preferred.
- Aseptic technique and experience in cell culture preferred
- Ability to use pipettes and other scientific equipment including microscopes, laminar flow biological safety cabinet, centrifuges.
- Ability to read and follow SOPs and understand the importance of GMP/ISO compliance.
- Ability to learn multiple procedures and understand importance of
- specific scientific techniques.
- Ability to understand and follow cleaning schedules; math skills and problem-solving skills.
- Written and oral communication skills to include accurate and legible documentation skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office and familiarity with databases.
- Organization skills, recordkeeping, filing, time management skills, regular attendance.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, team oriented, independent work skills.
- Analytical ability, both interpersonal and issue-related; good judgment and ethics; professional demeanor.
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, and ability to “get the job done” and take responsibility for results without direct authority.
- A majority of the work is done in a laboratory environment.
- Individual is required to wear, gown, booties, hair net, gloves, mask, and safety glasses.
- Working conditions can include heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs), confined space (small lab areas), repetitive motion (vialing with Wheaton and Eppendorff, pipetting, processing tissue), excessive noise (from HEPA filters in ceiling and hoods all day), and chemical hazards including acids, bases, Trypan Blue, DMSO, formalin, PMA
- SQ, other SQ, etc.
- Individual may be required to be on call or work overtime as needed.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Individual is involved in rotating on-call weekend schedule.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.