Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma and Biotech is looking for an Automation Engineer for their Bend, OR location. As an Automation Engineer you will be responsible for supporting the troubleshooting, repair, modification, and installation of pharmaceutical process equipment and building systems as part of a team.
A successful candidate will demonstrate familiarity with automated industrial control systems and instrumentation and possess a collaborative mindset; working with other colleagues on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Open communication, a team-oriented mindset, and a desire to learn are key attributes.
- Assist in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of automated process and facility equipment and control systems (Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk/RSLogix)
- Support equipment startup, commissioning, and qualification activities
- Troubleshoot and repair automated industrial control systems to support manufacturing and development operations
- Perform hands-on, detailed work, in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Collaborate with internal multi-disciplinary team members to design/modify equipment to support GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) operation, product development, and R&D activities
- Work collaboratively with automation team colleagues, support electrical and automation designs of senior colleagues, communicate openly, and learn from each other
- Support field installation of instrumentation and controls devices to system control panels
- Support updates to data historian systems (OSIsoft PI System)
- Minimum Associates Degree in Industrial Controls / Automation / Engineering Technology or similar field
- Experience working with industrial automation, instrumentation and controls, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in biotech/pharmaceutical engineering preferred
- Availability for after hour’s support of manufacturing operations on an on-call rotation basis required
- Electrical troubleshooting and safety practices a plus
- Familiarity with Allen Bradley PLC and HMI (Human-Machine Interface) development environment a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot electrical systems and automated equipment in a GMP environment a plus
- Knowledge of 2D CAD systems to support electrical and system documentation preferred
- Familiarity with P&IDs (Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams) a plus
- Familiarity with SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) and Building Automation Systems preferred
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.