Senior Mammalian Cell Expression Automation Scientist – Mammalian Cell Expression
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Lonza Pharma and Biotech segment (LPB) focuses on the contract development and manufacturing of recombinant protein biotherapeutics that dramatically improve patients’ lives. With a renewed commitment to innovation and with a vision to build the expression systems of the future we are expanding our R&D organisation. We are seeking highly competent, experienced Senior Scientists (bio-processing) to join our research center of excellence in Cambridge.
Leading projects from the bench, you will need a strong background in the delivery of technical innovation projects in the bioprocessing space. Working with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists dedicated to achieving a step change improvement in mammalian cell expression platforms, you will bring a proven set of skills in building and designing high throughput automation systems for upstream bioprocessing and the ability to lead technical and innovation projects from the initial ideation stages to implementation. LPB R&D is a fast-paced working environment where innovative thinking, creativity and collaboration are all actively encouraged, and to succeed you will need to be flexible, open to new ideas, and excited by the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues both across our R&D network, and externally with leading academics.
The key responsibilities include:
- Develop next-generation cell line automation technology platforms
- Identify and execute opportunities to improve all aspects of recombinant protein expression, focusing on mammalian cell line construction
- Generate, collate and present high quality experimental data in written reports and for oral presentations
- Initiate and lead scientific discussions on the latest bioprocessing R&D
- Act as a mentor for junior members of the team
- Work closely with other groups within R&D to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein expression
- Actively keep abreast of relevant academic literature
- PhD Degree in Life Sciences / Molecular Biology/ Biotechnology, together with practical experience in an industrial setting
- Experience in mammalian (CHO) cell line development for recombinant protein expression
- R&D technical background in relevant mammalian cell culture techniques e.g. generation of recombinant CHO cell lines, stable and transient transfection processes, fed-batch, static, suspension and bioreactor cultures
- Extensive experience with automation and high-throughput technologies as applied to mammalian cell line generation and process optimization (e.g. FACS, Beacon™ platform, Ambr systems, etc.)
- Experience developing and implementing solutions for clone screening and automation systems operated for cell line development
- Good working knowledge of statistics, expertise in design of experiments/multivariate techniques while not essential is desirable
- Must be able to work with minimal direction and guidance, with a high level of independence and flexibility
- Experience in the lab-based supervision of junior scientists -- motivating and engaging teams by providing mentorship and training to develop their skills and capabilities
- Basic protein chemistry/analytical techniques (HPLC, electrophoresis, immunoassays etc.)
This is an exciting opportunity to join an R&D team of scientists with a rich heritage of delivering innovative solutions in the bioprocessing space. People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
If this sounds like you, please apply below!