Senior Scientist - Cell Culture and Molecular Biology
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Due to growth within Lonza, we are seeking an experienced bio-processing Senior Scientist to compliment the cell engineering team in Cambridge. We are seeking candidates with a variety of skills and experience to work on projects that seek to improve the manufacturing of complex therapeutic proteins. In particular, to create recombinant CHO cell lines and gene expression platforms with better performance characteristics. In the cell engineering team we include scientists with a diverse range of skills and experience across a range of fields including cell and molecular biology, mammalian cell culture, recombinant protein expression, protein engineering, and cell engineering (i.e. CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing). We apply this experience to further the development of new and emerging technologies in the field of biologics manufacturing, we also provide an interface between key academic partners and the industrial environment.
- Contribute to the delivery of new and/or improved CHO-based host cell lines and expression vectors for the production of complex therapeutic proteins
- Innovation and technology development of new expression systems and related process development services; to include key cell culture techniques - mammalian cell culture, transient/stable transfections, fed-batch culture, and evaluation of cell lines by microfluidics/flow cytometry/ HT Bioreactors etc.
- Collate, analyse, evaluate and sign-off data to produce good quality information and records
- Lead technical work under the direction of Lead scientists and above
- Present data in written reports oral presentations
- Contribute ideas and opinions to scientific discussions to aid the development of new technologies
- Work closely with other groups within R&D to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein manufacturing (in particular with R&D Process Development and analytics)
- Protein chemistry/analytical techniques (HPLC, electrophoresis, immunoassays etc.)
- Actively keep abreast of relevant academic literature
- 80% lab based role using your practical industry experience and knowledge
- Carrying out procedures using molecular biology skills including gene cloning and vector construction
- Creating and/or manipulating mammalian expression vectors and expression systems; running various relevant cell culture systems e.g., static, suspension cell and bioreactor (Ambr) cultures
- Working as a team player and working with a high degree of flexibility
- Function as a role model in the laboratory to more junior members of the group
- Experience in Life Sciences / Science/ Molecular Biology/ Biotechnology
- PhD degree would be highly advantageous
- Bioprocessing experience, either in industry or academia
- Strong skillset in mammalian cell culture and molecular biology
- Experience in lab automation, particularly cell culture and cell line development automation
- Good working knowledge of statistics, expertise in design of experiments/multivariate techniques while not essential is desirable
- Experience of generating stable cell lines/pools
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.