Discovery Sales Specialist- Southern California
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Discovery Sales Specialist is responsible for increasing sales (revenue and profit) by actively selling “direct” product lines to assigned existing and new research/academic/pharmaceutical/ biotech/government customers in the San Diego/Houston/Dallas/St. Louis territory. Provides field technical support for Endotoxin Detection, Cell Biology/Cell Assays and Transfection product lines, gathers and communicates information on market trends and applications as well as on competitive activities. Works in close conjunction with Region’s Products Sales and Support Specialists as well as Key Account Managers and Export Distribution Managers when required.
- Prospects and identifies product opportunities and assess sales potential in order to achieve specific account and territory sales targets. Passes on relevant leads to Region’s Product Sales and Support Specialists.
- Manages the sales process within assigned accounts and territory, in conjunction with the Product Sales & Support Specialists. Qualifies, demos, and closes on product opportunities.
- Develops strategic and tactical action plans by account, in conjunction with the Product Sales & Support Specialists to increase sales to reach budgeted sales objectives.
- Organize, plan and schedule the use of time to provide optimum and effective account and territory coverage. Maintains high frequency of on-site account visits. Expectation is to be in front of customers 4 – 5 days / week.
- Provides customers with technical assistance in selecting and effectively using products.
- Aggressively grow and achieve the assigned territory’s annual sales target in both revenue and units.
- Fully develops product knowledge capabilities, applications, product justification in order to be recognized as the expert in the field. Completes technical and sales training at direction of management.
- Maintains control of demo inventory, manages T/E budget, telephone and consumables budgets.
- Collects and forwards to management, market information including competitive promotions, contract prices, new products, new applications and customer needs.
- Prepares and submits to management timely and accurate reports that provide information regarding forecasts, sales and market activity and current status of major accounts.
- Record activities and client information in the SAP CRM database on a daily & timely basis.
- Conducts all activities and keeps personal qualities such as integrity, appearance and sociability in a manner contributory to maintenance of optimum corporate image.
- Possess the ability to work autonomously from a home-based office as well as contribute to overall team performance.
- Bachelors in Life Sciences with emphasis in cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology or biochemistry with academic and/or industry specific sales experience. Masters preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in cell culture, microbiology and molecular biology or biotech/biopharm laboratory and/or manufacturing, preferred.
- Prior sales experience in research /academic / industry accounts preferred.
- Computer software skills including Microsoft Office, maintaining CRM database, spreadsheet creation and maintenance skills, filing, organization, record keeping and planning skills, ability to manage multiple projects, time management skills.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) with ability to articulate key technical concepts; listening skills; independent and self-directed.
- Strong, customer-focused philosophy.
A majority of the work is done in front of the customers in meetings held in conference rooms or laboratory settings. Work is also conducted in a home office environment requiring use of a computer and telephone. Ability to travel a minimum of 40 - 60%, depending on location and size of territory. Base location also dependent on territory.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.