Structural Bioinformatics Scientist
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled (Senior) Scientist with experience in Structure-based Protein Engineering and Bioinformatics to join Lonza's Applied Protein Services (APS) Bioinformatics team based in Cambridge, UK.
- The successful candidate will work on multiple customer projects focusing on in silico assessments and providing computational design of diverse types of proteins: antibodies, enzymes, vaccines, etc.
- You will gain experience on our proprietary platforms for antibody humanisation and deimmunisation, immunogenicity (Epibase®) and manufacturability risk assessments to improve the developability of potential biotherapeutics of customers ranging from small biotech to big pharma.
- Additionally, you will contribute to the development of innovative technologies to support companies in their R&D programs and optimize proteins for the manufacturing processes.
- PhD or equivalent in Computational Chemistry, Structural Biology, Physics or Bioinformatics preferably with experience in industry.
- Highly experienced in protein structural analysis with emphasis on homology modeling and protein structure-based design. Strong understanding of molecular interactions is essential.
- Familiar with biomolecular simulation techniques, including molecular dynamics, is a plus.
- Experienced working in Linux environment and scripting (knowledge of Python is essential; Perl is an advantage).
- Ability to generate high quality reports and promote effective communication with the customer.
- Advanced analytical and critical problem-solving skills, combined with scientific creativity.
- Interest in continuous improvements of processes by integrating innovative solutions.
- Ability to work as a team member, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in written and oral English, and strong, written, oral communication skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.