Senior Scientist - Host Cell Line Development & Engineering - Mammalian Cell Expression
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
The Lonza Pharma and Biotech segment (LPB) focuses on the contract development and manufacturing of recombinant protein bio-therapeutics that dramatically improve patients’ lives. With a renewed commitment to innovation in the space, and the ambition to build the mammalian expression systems of the future. We are seeking highly competent, experienced Senior Scientists (bio-processing) to join us on our journey and complement our team based at our research centre of excellence in Cambridge.
Leading projects from the bench, you will need a strong background in the delivery of technical innovation projects in the bioprocessing space. Working with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists dedicated to achieving a step change improvement in mammalian cell expression platforms, you will bring a proven set of skills in mammalian cell culture, recombinant protein expression, and cell and molecular biology. LPB R&D is a fast-paced working environment where innovative thinking, creativity and collaboration are all actively encouraged, and to succeed you will need to be flexible, open to new ideas, and excited by the chance to work with colleagues across the R&D network, including external collaborators and leading academics.
The key responsibilities include:
- Instigate and lead the delivery of new and/or improved CHOK1SV-based host cell lines from ideation through to commercialisation.
- Design and implement methodologies for cell engineering target identification and validation.
- Engineer mammalian cell lines using state of the art techniques (e.g. Transposon and recombinase mediated Integration, gene editing e.g. novel Crispr-Cas systems).
- Phenotypic characterisation of edited cell lines with relevant assays (e.g. ddPCR, qPCR and flow cytometry) and cell culture techniques (e.g., shake flask/ bioreactor)
- Protein chemistry/analytical techniques (HPLC, electrophoresis, immunoassays etc.)
- Collate, analyse, evaluate and sign-off data to produce good quality information and traceable records to support implementation in the commercial setting.
- Presentation of project plans, results and recommendations to user groups, project sponsors, business development and project governance.
- Collaboration with other R&D departments, to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein expression (in particular with R&D Bioinformatics and Data science, Process Development, Microbial Expression & Protein Analytics)
- Keep abreast of relevant academic literature (e.g., in the field of cell engineering and expression technologies).
- Function as a role model in the laboratory
- PhD Degree in Cell and Molecular Biology / Genetics
- Enthusiasm and motivation for working and solving very challenging problems
- Project leadership and line management experience
- Experience of cell line engineering, ideally with the CRISPR-Cas based systems.
- Experience of pooled and/or arrayed CRISPR-Cas9 KO screening would be an advantage.
- A good R & D technological background in molecular biology and relevant cell culture techniques with the aim of developing or manipulating mammalian expression systems (hosts, vectors and processes)
- Able to demonstrate contribution to technology development projects, with experience of implementing new technologies that can be transferred from the research environment to GMP manufacture.
- Interpretation of next generation sequencing data.
- Ability to work in cross-functional groups to transfer technology into other groups and support commercialisation.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an R&D team of scientists with a rich heritage of delivering innovative solutions in the bioprocessing space. People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
If this sounds like you, please apply below!