Lead Scientist – Cell Engineering
Lead Scientist – Cell Engineering
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for a Lead Scientist – Cell Engineering to join our Cell Engineering R&D group based at our site in Cambridge, UK.
This is a new position in the R&D Cell Engineering group based in Cambridge, which requires someone to contribute to maintaining Lonza Pharma & Biotech expression technologies to industry leading standards. As Cell Engineering Scientist in R&D Cell Engineering you will be contribute to R&D’s activities primarily in the development of improved expression systems or services for the production of complex therapeutic proteins.
- Lead the delivery of new and/or improved CHOK1SV-based host cell lines and expression vectors for the production of complex therapeutic proteins.
- Generate mammalian expression vectors using state of the art assembly techniques
- Engineer mammalian cell lines (e.g. random integration, targeted Integration and gene editing – e.g. Crispr-Cas based systems)
- Phenotypic characterisation of edited cell lines with relevant assays (e.g. ddPCR, qPCR and flow cytometry) and cell culture techniques (e.g., shake flask/ bioreactor)
- Protein chemistry/analytical techniques (HPLC, electrophoresis, immunoassays etc.)
- Collate, analyse, evaluate and sign-off data to produce good quality information and traceable records under the direction of the project lead.
- Presentation of results in written reports and oral presentations.
- Work closely with other groups within R&D to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein expression (in particular with R&D Process Development, Microbial Expression & Protein Analytics)
- Actively keep abreast of relevant academic literature (e.g., in the field of cell engineering and expression technologies)
- Contribute ideas and opinions to scientific discussions to aid the development of new technologies.
- Working as a team player and working with a high degree of flexibility
- Function as a role model in the laboratory to more junior members of the group
- PhD Degree in Life Sciences / Science/ Molecular Biology
- Practical experience within R & D in an industrial setting
- Project leadership and line management experience (desirable)
- A good R & D technological background in molecular biology and relevant cell culture techniques with the aim of developing or manipulating mammalian expression systems (hosts, vectors and processes)
- Able to demonstrate contribution to technology development projects, with experience of implementing new technologies that can be transferred from the research environment to GMP manufacture.
- The ability to work in cross-functional groups to transfer technology into other groups and support commercialisation.
- Enthusiasm and motivation for working and solving very challenging problems
- Desirable experience of cell line engineering, ideally with the CRISPR-Cas based systems. Experience of pooled and/or arrayed CRISPR-Cas9 KO screening would be an advantage.
- Familiarity the implementation/development of automation for cell line screening and/or the interpretation of next generation sequencing data.
- Good working knowledge of statistics, expertise in design of experiments/multivariate techniques
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.