Business Director - Bioscience
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
This position is Leading, managing and motivating assigned sales, sales support team members within Japan Region. Directly responsible for LONZA revenue and profit with the primary focus of meeting or exceeding sales and profit. Develop best approach to serve Japan: academic, pharmaceutical and Biotechnology market segments.
- Recruit / train a team of Technical Sales representatives, sales support and sales team. Provide leadership, development and “field based” coaching to members of the team.
- Develop (in conjunction with Head of Asia Pacific), implement and monitor sales strategies for Discovery, Testing, MODA & FFM between distribution and direct sale approach for products and services. Focus on creating partnerships with distributors & customers to expand and maintain Lonza position in the field.
- Plan, execute and deliver country plan to achieve sales and profit goals. Set and track individual team member’s objectives detailing expected revenue goals. Manage all country activities to maximize attainment of forecasted sales goals; Directs resources and assigned budget.
- Effectively manages sales team (Business Development) / sales support (Marketing)/ technical support teams; monitors performance, conducts performance reviews. Develop and communicate clearly defined objectives for the Sales team and hold them accountable for achievement of these objectives. Provides direction and support to sales team on weekly & monthly basis to achieve the agreed objectives.
- Coordinate marketing activities locally and with global marketing team.
- Drive a strong cross-functional team mentality within and between teams, especially between the account managers.
- Appoint / develop / motivate a network of distributors serving the Research, quality control community.
- Responsible for meeting expense budgets. Coordinate budgets, develop and update forecasts, and provide reports as needed or requested.
- Generates and provides monthly status updates to “Head of Asia Pacific”, to include: Detail monthly reports, “Top Opportunities funnel”, performance versus assigned targets/plan, Key Project Initiatives progresses, regional / national programs and promotions, personnel performance and issues, feedback on key and/or new product performance, competitive information, successes and challenges, as well as other work related activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned, e.g. preparing proposals, approving quotations, representing company at trade shows, sales meetings and conferences, ensure leads in CRM, etc.
- Maintenance of quality systems and for the business by ensuring that all team members comply with Lonza processes, procedures and instructions for all activities in which the team participates.
- Is knowledgeable and complies with all pertinent safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Ensure that all team members comply with safety rules and regulations.
- Provides appropriate coaching and performance feedback to all direct reports and assures that all team members are being develop.
- High complexity with continuous multi-tasking for managing team members.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Minimum B.S. in Life Sciences with emphasis in cell biology
- A minimum of 10 years of industry specific (research laboratory products (consumables and instruments) sales experience.
- A minimum 5 years management experience in the life science market Sales Management experience may include: medical devices, equipment or services, and/or research laboratory products (consumables / instruments) or diagnostic.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) with ability to articulate key technical concepts, expectations and deliverables.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency (Office, Outlook, CRM, etc.)
- customer oriented
- Effective listening skills, convincing
- Self-motivated, independent and self-directed,
- Team-oriented, team player
- Strong work ethic.
- Pro-active, action oriented
- Demonstrated strong leadership and management skills, including performance management, training and development; ability to motivate direct reports to achieve or exceed goals and objectives.
- Must possess strong negotiating and interpersonal skills; able to interface comfortably at all management levels, both internally and externally.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Combination of both field and office work.
- Able to travel 50% or more nationally and 5% Internationally
- Good English and Japanese literacy written and verbal
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.