Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Research & Development (R&D) Scientist will support projects targeting customers in target drug discovery and cell and gene therapy market segments. Expertise in the area of immunology, with focus on Immunotoxicity /Immunogenicity is required and knowledge of human immune cell dynamics is preferred. Candidate must have expertise with immune cells isolation, multi-parameter flow cytometry, conducting in vitro experiments to investigate immune function and familiarity with technologies commonly used to assess immune endpoints for use in disease research, drug discovery and cell and gene therapy applications. Technical and scientific ownership of development and application projects.
- Plans experiments and experimental series for cell biology development and application projects incl. primary literature search.
- Executes cell isolation and cell culture experiments as well as immune cell-based assays.
- Analyzes data according to best scientific practices.
- Conducts comprehensive problem analysis and troubleshooting.
- Compiles experimental results into development reports, manufacturing and quality control instructions, and marketing tools incl. customer presentations, TechNotes, WhitePaper and peer-reviewed publications.
- Manages the technical and scientific part of development and application projects and presents project progress and outcomes to peers, project teams and within the Bioscience Sub-BU.
- Provides technical support for manufacturing and quality functions.
- Evaluates ideas for novel products, improvements and applications and independently establishes new methods in the laboratory.
- Represents of Lonza Cell Biology Products at scientific conferences and customer seminars.
- Supports SST, Sales and customers directly with training, application support and troubleshooting.
- Maintains laboratory infrastructure incl. ordering of materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree, preferably Ph.D. in a life science/Immunology discipline with hands-on experience with primary and/or stem cell culture.
- Must be able to independently plan, execute and analyze scientific experiments.
- Must be able to accurately document results according to best scientific practice.
- Able to travel both domestically and internationally up to 10% of the time in accordance with business needs would be a plus
- Knowledge and expertise in cell isolation, advanced cell culture methodology, cell-based in-vitro models with focus on immune cells, media development, and cell-based assays is a plus
- Expertise with one or more of those areas beneficial: Immunology, Neurobiology, Vascular Biology, Stem Cell Biology
- Expertise with one or more of those areas beneficial: 3D Cell Culture, Spheroids, Micro-Fluidics, Bioprinting
- Expertise with one or more of those methods beneficial: Flow Cytometry ,Immune cells based assay, Immunocytochemistry, Immunohistochemistry, Microscopy, qPCR, ELISA, TEER
- Working knowledge of technologies regarding human cells as models for biomedical research and drug discovery applications are a plus
- Basic computer software skills (MS Office) are essential, laboratory specific software (e.g. Prism, FlowJo, ImageJ) are a plus
- Good written and oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Innovative and solid “outside-the-box”-thinking capabilities.
- Project management experience is a plus
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in working independently as well as strong desire to work as part of a matrix team.
- Outstanding work ethics and highly motivated
- Willing to contribute to activities outside the group’s scope where expertise and support are required.
- Comfortable with working outside regular office hours, on weekends and holidays when necessary.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.