Senior Data Scientist - Bioinformatics
United Kingdom, Cambridge
Lonza is a leading contract development and manufacturing organization. Within the company Lonza Bio R&D leads the discovery, design and development of innovative biologics platforms, processes and technologies that form the basis of our products.
The Lonza Bio R&D Bioinformatics & Data Science team tackles complex data analysis problems across the whole spectrum of Bio R&D projects. Our mission is to apply bioinformatics and data science to the discovery, design and development of new biologics technologies. This includes cutting edge research into biomanufacturing, synthetic biology and cell and gene therapy development.
About the Role
The Senior Data Scientist works as part of multi-disciplinary teams to solve research problems using their data science and machine learning expertise. You’ll be expected to work proactively to define data analysis problems with our research teams from across the biomanufacturing, synthetic biology and cell and gene therapy areas and then implement solutions that meet their needs. The data we deal with spans genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, gene editing, spectroscopy and more so you will need to be agile and always ready to learn new areas to apply your skills to. Your responsibilities will include developing and deploying new data processing pipelines and machine learning models, as well as analysing, visualizing and interpreting complex biological data. You’ll have opportunities in this role to grow your professional network and career through internal and external presentations and publications.
- PhD or equivalent in a quantitative discipline preferably with a focus on computational biology or bioinformatics applications.
- Experience using machine learning approaches to answer biological questions.
- Programming and statistical data analysis and visualization experience in R or Python with one or more common ML frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc…).
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams and strong scientific writing and presentation skills.
- Experience processing, analysing and interpreting NGS data.
- Experience using common bioinformatics databases and Unix command line tools.
- Experience using cloud-based computing (AWS, Azure or GCP).
- Experience of one or more omics technologies including: RNASeq, scRNASeq, WGS, CRISPR, proteomics and metabolomics.
- Knowledge of biologics drug discovery and manufacturing.
- Significant scientific publication record.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.