Manager, Occupational Hygienist
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for an Occupational Hygienist for Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), in Visp, Switzerland. In this role you will manage OH programs for the Lonza Solutions AG Visp production site. You will use your expertise to achieve compliance with legal and corporate requirements and the implementation of best practices, when applicable (including sharing best practices across the site). You will engage and educate stakeholders to take part in ensuring a healthy workplace for their employees and colleagues.
- Create, implement and manage Occupational Hygiene (OH) programs.
- Manage the OH Monitoring program: planning, execution, interpretation and communication of results. Follow-up to ensure that improvements were made, where necessary.
- Anticipate, evaluate and mitigate exposures to chemicals, noise, heat stress and ergonomic triggers.
- Provide guidance and support to reduce the risk of occupational disease through participation in workplace risk assessments site-wide (production, laboratories, and infrastructure).
- Participating in new project evaluations to assess the risk of exposure and ensure a clear expectation from EHS from the beginning.
- Proactively support partners with improvements in the plant.
- Conduct on-site walkthroughs, internal audits and participate in external audits.
- Ensuring compliance with national OH regulations, internal standards and exposure limits, etc.
- Provide training for OH-related topics.
- Close communication and advising to plant management, workers and colleagues regarding all OH topics.
- Collaborate with EHS colleagues to recognize where input or support is needed from other areas of expertise (Occupational Safety, Process Safety, Environmental Protection or Biosafety).
- Deputy for Occupational Safety.
- Education: University degree in Applied or Life Sciences (Environmental or Health Sciences, Chemistry, Biology). Diploma of Advanced Studies in Work and Health (or equivalent education for Health and Safety) is highly recommended.
- Licenses/certificates: IOHA recognized OH certification (SGAH, CIH, CertOH) is desired.
- Experience: 5 years of OH experience, preferably in Chemical Manufacturing. Knowledge of national OH regulations. Knowledge of, or experience in, other EHS disciplines (environment, occupational safety, process safety) is desired.
- You are proactive, motivating, organized, able to manage multiple priorities in a timely manner, able to work independently or in a team, capable of performing detailed analyses and documentation while keeping a broad perspective, capable of communicating with all levels across the organization.
- Proficiency in German (written and spoken) and good communication skills in English.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.