United States, Bend (Oregon)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an opening for a Mechanical Engineer at our Bend, OR location. This is a great opportunity to join the Engineering team during substantial growth in a business of developing and manufacturing life-enhancing, life-saving drugs.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you’ll be involved in the design, installation, modification, support and repair of pharmaceutical process equipment and building systems, while supporting department procurement and CAD data vault needs. A successful candidate will demonstrate proficiency in 2D/3D CAD mechanical design, familiarity with fabrication and machining, and possess a collaborative mindset. Candidate must be capable of working with other colleagues on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Open communication is critical.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, fabricators, and machinists to design pharmaceutical processing equipment
- Collaborate with internal multi-disciplinary team members to design/modify equipment to support GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) operations, product development, and R&D activities
- Support scheduling and coordinate work plan execution to ensure safe, high-quality, and on-time delivery of project deliverables across multiple projects
- Serve as a supporting engineer for design, fabrication, installation, and troubleshooting of equipment and facility systems
- Develop system P&ID’s (piping and instrumentation diagrams) in collaboration with Automation and Chemical Engineers
- Fully document systems and components to satisfy GMP requirements
- Use and maintain a CAD (computer aided design) Data Vault (SolidWorks PDM Professional) in day-to-day CAD system (SolidWorks) operation
- Interface with outside contractors, oversee equipment installation
- Consult with other colleagues, consultants, or vendors on design and layouts
- Generate GMP documentation supporting change control, qualification, CAPA (corrective and preventative action), and deviation/investigation activities.
- Prepare written documents such as standard operating procedures, memos, reports, and standards.
- Support departmental procurement activities utilizing SAP software
- Able to work in a GMP clean environment when needed to support manufacturing
- Able to use stairs and regularly stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
- May be required to push, pull, lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering education
- Knowledge and use of SolidWorks, DraftSight/AutoCAD and MS Office required, comparable software packages are acceptable
- Demonstrate mechanical, analytical and technical skills
- Knowledge of design for hygienic equipment (pharmaceutical, food/dairy, semiconductor, etc.) is a plus
- Knowledge of and familiarity with GMP standards is a plus
- Knowledge and use of SolidWorks PDM Professional is a plus
- Knowledge of P&ID’s and drawing standards preferred
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is a plus
- Experience with hand, power, and machine tools as well as welding, fabrication, and sheet metal is a plus
- Able to work on multiple projects and meet project deadlines as needed
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.